Belts become loose on any axis movement

Fresh calibration, everything looks good. Corners are robust and I measured the frame very precisely. I retract, extend, mount the Maslow, and tighten the belts – they feel great and taut. Then if I move the Z axis, or any axis really, the belts loosen up, especially BL and TR. Same thing happens if I start a cut, the first thing it does is loosen the belts. I can go back and have the Maslow tighten the belts again, but same issue if anything moves.

Is this normal? There’s a lot of play in the machine. Here’s an example of the BL belt (tried to aim it down what should be the centerline of the belt):

1 Like

When you did the calibration, was the router all the way to the bottom?

David Lang

2 Likes

Yup. And I removed the vacuum attachment.

1 Like

Do I need to set the Z stop after bottoming it out as well, before calibration? After calibration the Z stop number was off.

1 Like

During calibration the machine should set the ZStop automatically. Are you seeing the message about the Z stop during the calibration process? It should say “setting Z stop” or something similar after one of the pauses where it calculates. If not you can set it manually and you may need to upgrade firmware

2 Likes

I’m running v0.83, so pretty recent firmware.

I bottomed the Z axis out before calibrating, but noticed when it was done the Zmin/Zm on the dashboard tab was like -34mm when it should be zero. Not sure if that’s causing the issue or not.

Didn’t save the calibration log so no idea if it said it was setting the Z stop, but I can save the log next time.

Did another calibration made sure the Z was all the way down and still running into the same issue. Kinda stumped here. I bought it second hand, maybe the PO manually put in some weird settings?

Here’s a video post calibration, showing the tightness of the belt, then jogging the Z up 10MM and how it loosens up.

The calibration log was lost because the machine froze then overwrote the file when I saved again, but here’s the log of moving the machine in the video. Wondering if that “BL: -7.321” Is the issue. Maybe the BL calibration isn’t quite right?
Maslow-serial 3.log (1.8 KB)

1 Like

all of the calibration and setting is in the maslow.yaml file, so if you replace
that, it eliminates anything that was set before.

what is the contents of your maslow.yaml file after the calibration? (all we
need is the Maslow_* lines)

David Lang

1 Like

Here’s the calibration data and full file below. Appreciate your two cents if anything looks off.

board: Maslow
name: Maslow S3 Board
meta: 
Maslow_vertical: true
maslow_calibration_grid_width_mm_X: 2000.000000
maslow_calibration_grid_height_mm_Y: 1000.000000
maslow_calibration_grid_size: 9
Maslow_tlX: -7.800000
Maslow_tlY: 2409.899902
Maslow_trX: 2924.800049
Maslow_trY: 2407.500000
Maslow_blX: 0.000000
Maslow_blY: 0.000000
Maslow_brX: 2925.100098
Maslow_brY: 0.000000
Maslow_tlZ: 0.000000
Maslow_trZ: 144.000000
Maslow_blZ: 97.000000
Maslow_brZ: 75.000000
Maslow_Retract_Current_Threshold: 1300
Maslow_Calibration_Current_Threshold: 1500
Maslow_Acceptable_Calibration_Threshold: 0.450000

maslow.yaml (5.2 KB)

Ok, that looks reasonable.

As you were doing the calibration, were the belts tight at every point of the
calibration?

David Lang

1 Like

When it starts the bottom belts go fairly slack. After the first few calibration points they tighten up more. I can take a video tomorrow if that helps.

Thanks for the video! That is super helpful. It’s great to be able to see how slack is slack, it’s a hard thing to describe.

I think that this is exactly what you are seeing. The calibration seems slightly off on that arm.

You can try running the calibration again and if that doesn’t fix it, you can try upping this setting and then running calibration.

That sets how hard the belts pull during calibration and so it indirectly sets how tight the belts are when moving around since if we calibrate by pulling harder if there is any flex in the frame it will be taken into account.

1 Like

Thanks guys, I’ll give that a shot.

Also have a theory that the magnets might be loose. I bought it assembled and one belt was broken, when I disassembled to fix it a magnet fell out of the plastic sensor gear. So I might pull it apart and re-glue them all.

I ran an extend and tighten cycle a few times and the axis were all close to zero, so that might not be it. However, would give some peace of mind.

1 Like

That is 100% a cause for concern.

This is the right test for that so if it looks good maybe not the issue, but for sure something to keep an eye on.

1 Like

Pulled apart the BL reel and looks like the cable is wedged into the gear shoulder when fully retracted. This can’t be normal, right?

The magnet looks fine though.

Also, @bar do you have any spare top router clamp assemblies? The bolt heads popped through on the Z axis support side. Wonder if they need a little more material under the bolt heads in the next version.

Might have something useful here @bar — I replaced all 4 belts and recalibrated. It’s still loosening up the BL on any movement, but when I run the tighten command, it’s showing BL as about -8MM and change out. It happens after a jog and a re-tighten command, or hitting re-tighten multiple times in a row w/o a jog.

Post calibration log snippit:

Calibration complete 
Calibration values:
Fitness: 0.5535789097949809
Maslow_tlX: -9.4
Maslow_tlY: 2408.7
Maslow_trX: 2930.5
Maslow_trY: 2406.4
Maslow_blX: 0.0
Maslow_blY: 0.0
Maslow_brX: 2927.1
Maslow_brY: 0.0
A command to save these values has been successfully sent for you. Please check for any error messages.
[MSG:INFO: Setting z-stop position]
[MSG:INFO: Calibration complete]
Jog: X100Y100
[MSG:INFO: Measured waypoint 0]
[MSG:INFO: Center point deviation: TL: 0.201 TR: 0.097 BL: -8.540 BR: -2.077]
[MSG:INFO: Center point deviation: TL: 0.201 TR: 0.097 BL: -8.540 BR: -2.077]
[MSG:INFO: Center point deviation within 15.000mm, your coordinate system is accurate]
Jog: Z10
[MSG:INFO: Center point deviation: TL: 0.174 TR: 0.124 BL: -8.363 BR: -0.252]
[MSG:INFO: Center point deviation: TL: 0.174 TR: 0.124 BL: -8.363 BR: -0.252]
[MSG:INFO: Center point deviation within 15.000mm, your coordinate system is accurate]
[MSG:INFO: Center point deviation: TL: 0.161 TR: 0.076 BL: -8.189 BR: -0.354]
[MSG:INFO: Center point deviation: TL: 0.161 TR: 0.076 BL: -8.189 BR: -0.354]

Full log:
Maslow-serial (1).log (22.8 KB)

maslow.yaml
maslow (1).yaml (5.2 KB)

1 Like

Good insight!

That is a good indication that something in the calibration process which is going on with the bottom left belt, but it doesn’t narrow it down too much what exactly it is that is happening

1 Like

It’s a second-hand unit, the belts and belt gear ring were pretty thrashed so I changed them last night. Inspected everything and made sure the gears were not too tight — seems to run better now. The frame is built to spec with some extra cross bracing and sitting at a 15° angle from vertical. I also updated the firmware to v0.83.

Do you think any settings could have persisted from the previous owner despite a firmware update? Looks like he had some trouble with it and possibly changed some settings. Here’s one of his threads M4 Calibration Questions - #47 by KDB

go through a few cycles of extending and retracting the belts. Look at the
values that are displayed for each belt after they are retracted. If any of them
are significantly non-zero (more than 1-2mm, usually they should be down in the
0.1mm or below range), then you have a problem with an encoder. It could be a
magnet not glued well enough, the magnet in the wrong place, or something else.

David Lang

2 Likes

All of the settings are stored in the maslow.yaml file, so when you replace that
with the latest in an upgrade, you eliminate all prior settings.

David Lang

2 Likes