Belts become loose on any axis movement

Think I tried this yesterday with sub 1mm results, but I’ll give it a shot again and report back.

Think I’ll also try a little more angle on the frame and better supports on the bottom — it’s currently on a hinge with some 2x4s wedged in the bottom to kick it out so maybe they’re allowing some flex. Also heard that 15° might not be enough.

1 Like

Yeah, sub 1mm on the extend and retract.

Running another calibration now with sturdier bottom supports and about 17° angle — I think I had incorrectly measured the surface angle previously, so it was probably around 10-12°. I could see those two contributing to the 8mm deviation in BL, so fingers crossed!

1 Like

Using slightly different values for the initial guess for the width and height could help too…just a way to shake things up a little

Kyle wrote:

Think I tried this yesterday with sub 1mm results, but I’ll give it a shot again and report back.

Think I’ll also try a little more angle on the frame and better supports on the bottom — it’s currently on a hinge with some 2x4s wedged in the bottom to kick it out so maybe they’re allowing some flex. Also heard that 15° might not be enough.

a frame that flexes is a problem

take a look at http://lang.hm/maslow/maslow4_frame.html it’s not difinitive (you
don’t lose all accuracy by going outside the green, but the further you go
outside the green, the more problems you are likely to have, and it’s
non-linear, going 2x as far outside the green may be 2x the problem or it could
be 10x the problem, it’s a nasty curve)

David Lang

Unfortunately same results, about a -8mm and change on BL. It says that sub 15mm is within spec, is this reasonable for the BL belt? It’s so floppy it seems kinda useless.

Next two tests I’ll likely run are:

1. Increase tension to 1500 then calibrate, as @bar mentioned before.
  2. This will be annoying, but move the BL assembly to maybe TR or something and see if the issue follows — if so, it’s likely something wrong with the encoder or hardware.

Kinda stumped otherwise :confused:

@dlang No flex in the frame whatsoever now.

1 Like

Kyle wrote:

Unfortunately same results, about a -8mm and change on BL. It says that sub 15mm is within spec, is this reasonable for the BL belt? It’s so floppy it seems kinda useless.

if a extend/retract is giving results around 8mm, there is something wrong, it
really should be <1mm

the 15mm error is a limit that when the machine sees the belt lengths different
from the calculated lengths it is to the point where it can’t figure out what’s
going on as the encoders are off by > 1/2 turn (approximately). That is a very
different error.

Next two tests I’ll likely run are:

1. Increase tension to 1500 then calibrate, as @bar mentioned before.

note that you need to increase both the retration and calibration tension
limits.

David Lang

A full extend and retract is sub 1mm. If I jog the machine then hit apply tension it shows -8mm+. Or if I just hit apply tension once or twice it also shows -8mm plus.

1 Like

Guys I got it! I deleted and uploaded the maslow.yaml file from the most recent firmware, recalibrated, and the problem went away. I think I might not have realized that the yaml file needs to be replaced when upgrading the firmware, so I think it was trying to run a v0.74 yaml file on v0.83 firmware. That or just completely resetting the file did the trick. Either way, all of the belts stay tight now and looks great when it jogs. Excited to make some real cuts now.

THANKS for all the help!

4 Likes

Thats great news!

2 Likes

Interesting development for @bar and @anna, had the machine crash a few times and the loose axis on jogging issue came back, but on the BR this time. Replaced the maslow.yaml file modified with my calibration specs and that fixed the issue. I scanned the file with the stock firmware file and nothing was different. So must be something deeper in the software thats getting corrupt but resets when uploading the maslow.yaml file.

3 Likes