Building a shed for the Maslow

Can anyone who has built the Maslow provide me rough measurements for the minimum working clearances? I’m planning on building a shed. A Maslow won’t fit in my garage no matter how I arrange things and I’d still need to worry about my 2 year old. So a shed with a lock is my only option.

And if someone has a good reference on actually building a shed, I would love to see it. This probably going to be my first major woodworking project.

This is a good resource for a bunch of shed designs, all of which can be adapted for your needs:

As for the frame dimensions, I get:

Height 79 inches
Width 126 inches
Depth 24 inches

That obviously leaves out any room for the router itself. You also may want to build this first and then decide if this is the frame design you want. Personally, I plan to strengthen my frame and do something like the Alternate Frame Design posted on the wiki.

I leave it to you to decide how you want to design your shed. I could see a design that only contains the frame and router with no room to stand in. I could also see a large shed design with room to walk around in.

the maslow is about 10’ wide and the depth depends on the angle (a couple ft),
so figure about 3’ including the height of the router when it’s low on the
workspace.

it’s about 6’ tall

wow you are hardcore, building a shed for maslow! personally i’d just leave my car out side and put the maslow inside, lol.

1 Like

wow you are hardcore, building a shed for maslow! personally i’d just leave my car out side and put the maslow inside, lol.

you assume that there is room for the car in the garage to start with :slight_smile:

I may end up having to do the same.

1 Like

I’m in the same boat right now. My x-carve, and some woodworking equipment are taking up most of my garage space (single car). I was thinking of building a cabinet just large enough to house the Maslow. I think it would work.

You might want to leave room to be able to get around the end to get behind the frame, too. Also, take a moment to envision how a 4x8 piece of plywood will move from the entry of the shed onto the maslow frame :slight_smile:.

Wow, building a shed is way more involved that I thought. I was envisioning a very simple lean-to structure.

I may just build the Maslow in the next two weeks and cover it with a tarp. Then I’ll have time to build a shed in the next few months before the rains come.

1 Like

If you wanna get crazy you could build a small wikihouse.cc for your enclosure.

Krkeegan,

Can you point me to the alternative frame design? I can’t find it on the wiki.

Yup, here it is:

Sorry no instructions, but you can see most of the design.

The shed plans at iCreatables are dead nuts simple and they have simple lean to designs that you could probably bang together in a weekend.

Source: Banged (a smaller) one together in a weekend.

Hmm…the alternative design does seem simpler. It looks to be 8’ high and 10’ wide. So no cutting of wood beams, only some plywood. And luckily I have a truck to haul everything in one shot.

I more look at it, the more I loathe idea of taking a few weekends to build a shed, then more time building a Maslow.

I may just go ahead and use this alt design, lean it against my garage, cover everything with a tarp and then take my chances with the weather for a few months.

I to am gonna have to cover mine with a tarp and build a shed, but with a Maslow I know I can do that just about solo.
Use the Maslow to cut couplers/brackets for 2x4’s. Like those shed kits that are just a bunch of metal brackets. That way you don’t even have to miter any of your cuts. I will, but ya wouldn’t have to… I’m leaning towards a cantilever double single garage type door. Makes getting everything in simple and easy. One could go with a barn door set up quite easily too.

I made a modified hoop house recently for a project and having been debating using some of the left over polythene to make an outdoor work area. It should be pretty quick and easy. Even easier than a shed.

Framing is reduced since you aren’t supporting cladding or a significant roof weight.

Here’s wikihow’s guide, but I did something with straight vertical walls with smaller hoop on top more like this.

It can be really fast and cheap. The roll up walls allow for keeping the temperature down in summer. I’m assuming you will store the router/sled in a secure place so locking it up is less of a concern.

3 Likes

Cool idea. Thanks for sharing.

I would also point out previous discussions of geodesic domes on the old forums. That only works, of course, if you have a bunch of space in which to build.

Just go to http://www.maslowcnc.com/oldforums and search for “geodesic”.

Here’s an odd idea for in the garage itself - get some pulleys and some hinges, put some 2x4s on the back of the frame for the hinges, and fold the frame up to the garage ceiling when not in use. That could keep it away from the kid and off the floor when you need the space for other tools etc.

Maybe we need a Maslow variant of @bar’s PlyPAD, sized for a Maslow that “leans against” an outside wall… some frames that would hold the roof up, mounted against the outside wall of your house/garage/whatever.

Kind of a superset of the “temporary frame” - you build the Maslow and then use it to cut the pieces of it’s own shed :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Pretty much had the same idea, just free standing in back corner of yard. Since just enclosing the porch last year required a permit. due to being attached to residence. Damn bureaucrats. So if you’re thinking of attaching to your residence look into the local laws, before just to be sure. Pesky tattletale neighbors…