CAD/CAM is difficult

Hi itlstb!

Regarding the software, I was pretty paranoid before getting my Maslow kit, but about the time it arrived at the door, there was some conversation on the forum about Easel…

Although this topic covers converting to G-Code, I have found Easel a great starting point for Cad-Cam… it is only 2 dimensional, but it has gotten me started on a path to understanding how all this stuff works. My immediate plans are to make parts on the Maslow for cabinets and a workbench for my new shop. My past carpentry experience and design thinking centers on turning 2d things like plywood and boards into 3D items, so I am still using graph paper for rough designs and then creating the individual parts in Easel, which is pretty easy to do. I look forward to learning a 3D tool like OnShape, but first I am focused on getting the Maslow as tightly calibrated as possible.

Regarding the bits, I, like most everyone, started with 1/4” bits, which I purchased from Maslow. They are long enough to cut 3/4” ply, which for me is fine. The default Ridgid router has about 3” of travel on the Z axis, and operates on top of a 3/4” sled. With the little experience I have, the bit has to be mounted into the router so that the fully extended bit cuts to about 1”, and raises to about 1/4” above the work piece, so a total of 1 1/4”. So, the bits probably need to be around 2 1/2” long to allow for a solid mount in the router arbor and some clearance between the arbor tip and workpiece. Longer works, shorter might not cut as deep as you want.

Have fun!

2 Likes