Can Cut Bamboo Plywood using Maslow?

Greetings Maslow Community!

I have a question regarding which materials can be cut using a Maslow …

All the photos Maslow Instagram and YouTube videos
so far appear to be using (hard) Wood Plywood e.g: Birch or Cedar

I would like to use Bamboo Plywod
e.g: Carbonized Horizontal Bamboo Panel - 2440x1220x10MM - 2 Ply

Because the environmental benefits are compelling:

Question: Has anyone in the community attempted to cut Bamboo Plywood on the Maslow?
What was the result?

From watching videos of other CNC machines cutting Bamboo Ply on YouTube,
e.g: youtube id: fmJIO7VM0B8 featuring an “X-Carve” CNC machine …
it appears to be possible to cut Bamboo Ply without too much “splintering
which was an issue in this other video: youtube id: o1rgTDo7DIU (can’t link to it directly as I’m a “new user” on the forum…) :roll_eyes:

Thanks in advance!

1 Like

@nelsonic welcome to our group.

The Maslow is just a CNC controller of the moment of a router. If it can be routed by hand the Maslow can route it too. I have not done any bamboo yet. I have smaller pieces of it for the Shapeoko CNC so I will say it can be done. I have been looking at larger pieces of Bamboo at Ikea.

Thank you

1 Like

Ouch!

https://www.ambientbp.com/bamboo-plywood-panels.php

I like the idea for a special piece but I won’t be buying many sheets of bamboo at $150 a sheet with $100 shipping.

Thank you

try not focus on the price on ambientbp[.]com, that was only intended as an example.
I agree that they are over-charging for the Bamboo Ply because it’s “fashionable”, :money_with_wings: :roll_eyes:
but the actual material cost direct from the supplier is much more reasonable
(and quite close to “normal” wood ply)

My plan is actually to order it directly from “July Bambu” (the manufacturers in China) bamboo plywood have various colors: Carbonized Vertical, Natural Vertical, Carbonized Horizontal, Natural Horizontal, which will cost around $45 for an 8x4 sheet (including shipping because I’m planning to order 20 sheets to make a few things …)

But before I spend $900 on Bamboo Plywood I want to know if the Maslow
(in it’s default configuration with the Ridgid R22002 router …)
Can cut it withoutsplintering” …

Given that it’s not on the “FAQ” page FAQ — Maslow:thinking:
I thought opening the question as a forum topic was the best way to get an answer … :wink:

Hopefully someone in the wider Maslow community has already tried it …
otherwise I might have to be the “Test Dummy” :wink:

OK again this has been done on other desktop CNC machines so it is reasonable to think the Maslow can.

How it performs for you will depend on the same things as all CNC (speed n feed)
what tool you use - single flute, dual flute, compression bit, speed of the router you use, weight of your sled, angle of your frame.

There are many variables involved.

Thank you

1 Like

I fond this -

http://www.routerforums.com/wood-species/53401-bamboo.html#post470897

how really eco friendly it is is going to depend on the processing during lamination.

Thank you

1 Like

Great link with tons of detailed info! thanks! :tada:

Yeah, agree, there are quite a few variables. :thinking:

I’ve got all the router bits available on http://www.maslowcnc.com/store
so I think I’m just going to try and will feedback here! :+1:

3 Likes

Depending on where you are you might find enough interest for a group buy. Plywood (at least that made in the US) is sold in standard quantities, often a 4 foot high stack. Besides lowering shipping/sheet you might get a standard unit discount too.

I’m in northern California and would be interested in buying some sheets. If you’re near by and get a group together then hit me up!

1 Like

If I could get a 4x4 for half price I’d be interested to make a table by cutting corners and using the corners for stool tops and birch for legs.

Thank you

1 Like

I have worked with bamboo, but not with a Maslow- only with a drill, a table saw and a jig saw. To minimize/ eliminate splintering, I put blue painter’s tape on the “down” side of the material- i.e, where the drill bit or saw blade is exiting the workpiece. Depending on how intricate your design, this could be an expensive and time-consuming thing. Not sure if this helps you. I would be interested in your solution as I plan to work with bamboo when I receive my Maslow.

Bamboo Plywood for Sale | Ambient Building Products® 9

I like the idea for a special piece but I won’t be buying many sheets of bamboo at $150 a sheet with $100 shipping.

That’s not even plywood – it’s blockboard :slight_smile:

1 Like