Can we switch to a linkage arrangement with the next shipment of maslows?

The riser arrangement needs to provide stability in the X and Y directions.

It’s really hard to beat the stability of a 2x4 :slight_smile:

especially with something that’s supposed to be adjustable height.

how critical is it that this be a metal adjustable part vs a printed template
that you could put on the end of the wood to mark the holes to drill?

Also give some thought to a quick-release for the chains. The other two
linkages provide this, and it’s necessary, not just desirable.

what about a link like this:

https://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/58645474

possibly with a pin similar to what ships with the stock machine instead of the
small pin?

1 Like

Adjustability means the system is going to have to be more complicated to have the same stability as a static one. I think that the template is at least the easier route to go for now.

I like that a lot. I have had to take my sled on and off the chains a lot as I’ve been getting things dialed in, so having that link would help speed up the process significantly. I’ve had to spend quite a bit of time looking for the master link parts when I either dropped them or they flew off when I released them. :stuck_out_tongue: Entirely my own fault for not being careful enough.

I think I inadvertently did when I mentioned I was already planning on testing the two linkage systems together. I’m fine with that, but it will take time for me to do it right. The other thing that that my machine is smaller than the stock version, so results will be more extreme at the far sides of the bed. It may be a good idea to have a couple of people try this, especially with all the frame variants that are being made. I would be curious to see how much that also plays a role in the accuracy we see across the bed.

What do we want to see in the tests? Would something like I covered in this thread be good? I checked to see how well accuracy in a small shape in regular intervals across the bed. If I’m missing something crucial, though, we can work out a good test for it. I know I would like to have some way to measure compounding errors (aka slop) for each version. Should I also test the stock kinematics so that we have a control?

@Bar, I should probably go ahead an order one of your ring setups as well :wink:

Admittedly, part of my hesitation about adding this as part of the stock package is that I am still working out the issues with my own setup. My observations so far could be based in my own poor hardware choices. Or I haven’t dialed in the calibration as much as I think I have. I would absolutely LOVE to be wrong here, because then I would have more time for making cool stuff :wink:

1 Like

by the way, why are you having to take the chains off so much?

I’ve been very impressed by everyone on this forum so far. You have all done and are doing amazing things to make the Maslow an even better machine. I perhaps can’t speak for everyone but I’d love to get the best, easiest and most accurate set up possible when the next batch ships and if that means waiting an extra month to get the last final details figured out, I’d be happy to wait. The comment about a possible ring shipping is exciting (since it has such potential to improve things).

There have been some huge strides made by the community and I’m sure this will continue to get even better. I bought in knowing it was in beta phase and am excited to see what happens and to hopefully be able to join in the improvements when my Maslow arrives.

4 Likes

@Jayster

You too are part of what makes this an amazing community. Your desire to dig in and be part of what improves the Maslow.

Thank you for your participation.

3 Likes

For awhile I was having trouble with the chains jumping so I would need to re-calibrate the chains quite frequently. I also had to change the hardware configuration a few times, but that’s more my own fault than it is a problem with the system overall. The quick-release is something that is offered by the other kits, so I believe that is an expectation from our operators. I can imagine that taking the sled on and off could also wear out the master link components faster.

We can’t really say this enough. The involvement of the community is what makes this such a great project to be involved in! :smiley: We’re lucky to have you, @Jayster!

3 Likes

I take the chains off of the sled (but not off of the sprockets) every time I load a new sheet of plywood. I don’t need to recalibrate, but I do detach them from the sled and re-attach them with the cotter pins. Does everyone else load plywood without taking the sled off?

3 Likes

I tried once, ended up scrapping the finished side of my plywood. Now I de-chain every time.

2 Likes

I also think we should move to a top beam approach for the next shipment, the
improvement is ridgidity is significant.

If you have a top beam, then you can have a hook there and just hook the sled to
the top beam when loading the plywood, faster and easier for all sled types. :slight_smile:

David Lang

5 Likes

I have a rope with a hook to suspend my sled above the height of the sheet, but with testing various things often go through chain calibration. Getting the sled out of the way, either by hanging or disconnecting happens several times a day.

I plan to remove my router. I have to carry the frame to my work area. I use a cotter pin to hold the chains in place. I wouldn’t want the router swinging around as I were to carry it. Or worse fall and break the router.

I have a few things planned - A shelf to put the router for storage on my final design, B - I’m going to design a cover with 2 idlers that will trap the chain on the motor, they will not fall off, if the chain somehow were to jump it will split my case. The point is there will be no question about did or didn’t something happen. I may have time to design it in January. It will be 3D printed.

Thank you

1 Like

I would take the approach of marking the chains and sprockets to the home
location and then removing the chains and coiling them up with the sled (I
wouldn’t want the chains dangling and flapping in a case like that)

Currently, the auto-calibration runs the chains out to an arbitrary distance,
waits for you to mark them, and then moves to the home position. I think we
should change things so that the marked position is the home position (even if
we have to shift it a smidge to get the sprockets pointing up at that location)
k

One can mark the chains at any position one chooses. 0,0 changes with alterations to the sled or the frame, though, so marking 0,0 means having to rwmake the marks when making other changes.

One can mark the chains at any position one chooses. 0,0 changes with
alterations to the sled or the frame, though, so marking 0,0 means having to
rwmake the marks when making other changes.

True, but the current marking at a fixed position may leave the sled on the
floor or require that it be detached from the chains because they won’t reach.

I think it’s far more likely that people are going to be resetting the chains
than changing the dimensions of the machine.

This may just be a change in the instructions.

here are two files that can be used as a template for laying out the holes for the top pantograph kit (one svg, one dxf)

they show the outline of the 2x4 and where the holes go, they have a set of circles where the router bit goes, and if you want it, a couple of lines to align one of the vertical arms (the new narrower ones) if you want to use that as a drill guide.

how does this look as a sample?

It also turns out that I had one dimension incorrect, instead of being 3" from the bit to the first hole, it was 3.035" But if anyone was laying things out from the metal parts, it doesn’t matter, and if they were doing it any other way, I’ll bet the error was more than 0.035" anyway :slight_smile:

top pantograph - alignment drawing
top pantograph - alignment drawing.dxf (95.1 KB)

hmm, the .svg doesn’t seem to be getting through here it is as a zip file

top pantograph - alignment drawing.zip (2.8 KB)

4 :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m eager to try this, but have to wait to save up the funds

1 Like

If you are willing to invest the time (and material) to do the testing, I’ll send you a free top kit.

1 Like

Oh that’s right, I had forgotten about the chain and sprocket system that also came up. I haven’t followed it that closely, but we can certainly add that to test list. It looks like one of the major design considerations used in that system is to use off-the-shelf components. Although the sled itself will have to be custom made for that application. I will have to do some more research into the topic so that we can compare it as well. :wink:

1 Like

It will probably be quite a while before I can get the Maslow kit & a router. Hopefully the testing will be done by then, lol. If not, I’ll be happy to take you up on that offer :slight_smile: