Can you use the Ryobi R1631K 1-1/2 Peak HP 8.5 Amp

Will this router work with the setup?

1 Like

It looks like the Ryobi version of the suggested Ridged Router. In truth, any router will work. This is homemade CNC! Also the z axis configuration (that looks like would work) on this Ryobi is really being challenged buy better designs anyway. :smiley:

If it is this one image

just mounting the Z-motor on top will not work.
While turning clock wise, it can push the router up, but since the depth-stop can’t be locked to the base, it can’t pull the router down.

You will be able to use this router without the base, by going for alternative z-axis like

Kind regards, Gero

1 Like

For the Yet-another-Z-Axis-mod, that router looks like it will work fine. It will possibly require a custom-to-that-router clamp design, but that should be the only change needed. If you send me the diameter (preferably measured with calipers) of the body and verify that the head doesn’t protrude from the body more than 1/2" or so (which is to say, the diameter of the head is not too much larger than the diameter of the body), then I’d be happy to generate modified clamps. A couple of photos of the naked router body would also help. Once we get the clamps dialed in on yours I could add them to the kit as permanent mods for others who prefer that router.

Best,
– RBW

2 Likes

Hi! First post to the boards here, but I wanted to say that I have this router, and it is working. I think there is some tweaking I have to do with the pitch setting in GC, but so far it seems to be working pretty good. I have also strapped a bungee over the top as I have seen others do on the Rigid and that seems to help. I will be looking to get the components for the Meticulous Z-axis set up and will let you know how that goes.

For now, I made some chain guards that someone had posted on here (can’t find the link anymore or I would share). They turned out all right, though I was cutting at the lower left of the sheet, so that may account for some of the issues I had. Pretty straight cuts, just not always plunging all the way in, or going to far. It may be the ply isn’t exactly straight either, but hey, I’m cutting and learning.

Thanks to all of you as I wouldn’t have known what to look out for if it weren’t for these boards and all the helpfulness the community has provided.

2 Likes

I have just purchased the Ryobi R1631k and installed everything back to my sled and my Z-axis will not move. Did you have to do anything special to make this router work? In Ground Control, it will not allow me to raise or plunge. Any help will be appreciated. I am determined to get this machine cutting.

silly question, did you change the setting in ground control that tells it that
you have a Z axis?

I believe it defaults to “no” (at least in some versions)

David Lang

It is enabled. And my original router was spinning opposite so i have my pitch set to -3.17

silly question, do you have the router clamped so that it’s locked in position?

David Lang
k

That would have been all my questions, as @dlang has stated, all I did was enable it in Ground Control and verified it was spinning in the right direction. If not, just put the “-” in front of the pitch as you said you have. Also, I had to actually loosen the nut on the clamp so there was enough play (even with the clamp not engaged) to allow for the router to move smoothly up and down.

Outside of that, it worked for me, so I am at a loss if it is not working for you. My apologies, but there are those here that know way more and will be able to get you going on the right track.