Cannot Take Up Slack After Calibration

Get the following errors. Its almost like the machine needs to be retracted and extended every time it powers on?!?!?! I think the machine is calibrated however that has been a 2 day struggle already. Only was able to get a smaller calibration to work. This really isn’t fun at this point.

[MSG:ERR: Cannot take slack until all axis are extended fully]

Im guessing you cannot release slack, leave the machine attached lets say overnight and come back later and take back up the slack without removing and attaching to the frame again.

It does. When the machine powers up it doesn’t know if the belts have moved since it was powered off. There have been some good discussions about how we could implement a feature to save the position during power offs and confirm with the user that nothing has changed, but that hasn’t been added yet.

Gotcha. I assumed that with plastic parts it would creep over time if always underload. Perhaps make it clear in the manual that if you release tension you have to ‘reload’ the machine.

And thanks for the clarification

I would like the feature to release tension, save position and reconfirm position on reboot as helpful. Obviously my concrete doesn’t care about the tension but I’m sure the plastic does. Thanks!

1 Like

The plastic parts are super solid, I think that you should be good to leave it under tension for pretty much any amount of time…I certainly do :stuck_out_tongue:

But it would also be great to have a feature to reload a stored position.

Good to know

1 Like

If once the machine determines the belt lengths solidly, perhaps the machine could store those numbers and then you would only need to do a retract-all without doing an extend-all. Obviously there would have to be a way to override it if you’ve changed the belts or just because you want to check.

1 Like

WFD wrote:

If once the machine determines the belt lengths solidly, perhaps the machine could store those numbers and then you would only need to do a retract-all without doing an extend-all. Obviously there would have to be a way to override it if you’ve changed the belts or just because you want to check.

If you know exactly how much belt is spooled out, then there is no need to
retract. If you are not 100% sure that no spool has moved since the last time it
was powered on, you need to do a retract-all to get the belts to a known
position, then start spooling them out (i.e. extend all) so that the belts can
attach to the frame again.

David Lang

1 Like

Ah. I was reading it as extend-all followed by retract-all (instead of the other way around) as if you also didn’t know the belt length.

1 Like

WFD wrote:

Ah. I was reading it as extend-all followed by retract-all (instead of the other way around) as if you also didn’t know the belt length.

Yes, this is “don’t know how much belt has been fed out” rather than “don’t know
how much belt exists in the system”

David Lang

1 Like