Can't find exactly what else I need besides what comes in kit

Hello,
As I am awaiting for my kit to ship, I want to make sure I have everything else that I need. I think this should be in the FAQ, but what else besides wood, router, and bits is needed to have a functioning Maslow?

Thanks.

I would guess a pc to run groundcontrol and a design you want to cut.

2 Likes

Dust collection of some kind (shop vacuum)? Not a must but will help control the sawdust that will fly everywhere.

3 Likes

a router to mount on the maslow

router bits

tools to build the maslow
a tape measure
drill/driver
saw
(wood glue a plus)

2 Likes

This is a great question and I will try to do it from off the top of my head.

The kit - is a set of fasteners, motors, cables, Arduino mega, Maslow shield, mounting hardware.

Things that are assumed but often 1 or 2 are not in the mix.

Pencil/Pen, measuring tape, power screwdriver, hand saw ( keyhole, japanese, other type ) , set of hand screw drivers, sand paper or sanding block, drill set ( hex mounted drills for power drivers). - with some of the new builds a socket set, adjustable wrench for nuts and bolts.

I strongly suggest adding a box or jar of star drive deck screws for building the frame unless you are making a Unistrut frame.

You may need different bolts to mount your router depending on your sled and sled mount choices.

If going with a dust collector/ wet dry vac you may need extra hoses and hose connections.

The Maslow kit has standoffs and screws for mounting the Meaga Arduino / shield - I preferred to 3D print a holder for the Arduino Mega. It helps to think about where you will put the electronics and route your cables before your build.

I , and I think most mount a Power Strip on the frame some where. I am coming out with a solution for this in the near future that will give you some automated options, more on that later.

If your frame moves like mine does how to get power to it. So an Extension Power Cable.

Then as others mentioned how will you interact with the machine? PC on a cable? In my case Remote to a Raspberry Pi. So I’m mounting it to the machine as well, so I needed to 3D print a case for the Raspberry Pi. So either power for the mounted computer or workstation you will run the Maslow from and connecting cables.

Last 2 things I can think of -

Glue if you will use glue in your frame. I do not. Back up battery power supply. A small power glitch can end up costing a lot of time. Food for thought.

I think that is it. If I missed anything, peeps call me on it.

Thank you

1 Like

Space, I can tell. You need space, for sure, because that thing is a monster :wink:
Edit: What kind of frame are you building?

1 Like

I plan on making the new stock frame.

Thanks for the info, but I did just find a wiki page with this info. https://github.com/MaslowCNC/Mechanics/wiki/Initial-Setup-Checklist I will double check that list with what is posted here.

1 Like

If you haven’t already, this one you don’t need to read, but it is good to do so.

Question to Git, why does a link to Safety-First show Digital Design Files?

“Digital Design Files” is the description of the entire repo.

Along this same thought is time. I think we all wished we had more time to play and build with this thing. I’ve spent a lot of time reading, thinking and prepping and I don’t even have one yet. It’s a fun new little (or big) hobby.

2 Likes

A fun new little monstrous thing that can get big in your live.
Keep your updates flowing.