Choosing a frame

With the cost, time, and tools required, etc. set aside, which frame option would you recommend?

My end goal is to make a frame that can be disassembled (by using Thread Inserts and Hex Flat-Head Cap Screws) and stored.

Thanks,

My immediate reaction is that the bolt-together frame might be most suitable for that. I believe that design is better known now as the default frame, but someone can correct me if I got it wrong.

1 Like

I’ve also opted for the bar’s bolt frame. I’ve not yet disassembled and reassembled, but I don’t expect issues.
Of course, you can bring your own screws. In theory, you can swap them. I’m not an expert on screws and bolts, but I think hex flat-heads are not really suitable in this case.

1 Like

An alternative to taking it apart and storing it is to have it hinged to a wall so that it stores only ~6" think. When needed, you can swing it out to the correct angle, flip down some feet and you’re off to cutting. Search through the forums for some good ideas on how to do this. I went this route and love how nicely it stores.

4 Likes

I’ve heard of a user that has attached hinges at the top and attached the frame to the ceiling so that it would be stored on the ceiling to clear up space. This has intrigued me but I’m not sure how this would be done. I’d love to see some pictures of a setup like this cause I think that’s what I want to do with mine. I don’t have a lot of work space where I’m at.

2 Likes

The motors come out pretty far from the frame, so a ceiling mount would have to account for that, unless you come up with a solution to have the back pulled up to the ceiling.
I have mine hinged to the wall on a 4x4 and 4 heavy door hinges.

2 Likes

Do you have a picture of your setup. I’d love to see it.

3 Likes

Sure, I will dig some out. But you can’t really see much as I have no height or width to waste, the frame covers the entire wall. A few tips I will find and post.

This picture only shows 4 ‘bolts’, I used 5 at the end to mount the 4x4 to the wall.

A picture of the 1 hinge mounted. It is at 90° with the bolt outside when the frame is flat at the wall. I did this because I initially also intended to pull it up to the ceiling but found out I don’t have enough height to do so.

The hinges are connected to a horizontal 2x4 that carries the hole frame.

Having no legs makes it easy to clean under it :wink:
It’s ugly but it’s mine.

To be able to experiment with different angles I made 2 wall adjustable supports with an long-hole.
I can set the angle between 8° and 18°.

3 Likes

Wow, so the whole thing hangs from the one 2x4? Is the 2x4 connected to a 4x4 or is it attached to wall?? That thing looks likes a beast. I like it!

Do you take of your router when not in use or do you leave it on? How wide is your setup?

Yes.
The 2x4 is only attached to the 4x4 with the 4 hinges. There are 4 2x4 going vertical to the lower horizontal one. In the middle 3 horizontal 2x4 parts stabilize the 4 vertical ones.

I don’t take the sled off unless I need to recalibrate. But I don’t let it hang on the chains. It rests on the back of a chair between cuts. I ran the first build for a year with a width of 3000mm (~118.1102 inch) and have now raised the motors and pulled then out as far I can go in this tiny room, width 3505mm (~137.9921inch). Cant wait to get the sled back on. 5 days of holidays are coming up on friday, so I have hope.

Thank you so much for the information! Good luck!

1 Like