Complete Newbie NEEDS HELP!

Hey all,

complete CNC newbie here

Maslow CNC will be my 1st ever go at anything CNC

cashing in my Maslow CNC reserve, 12/1/2017 for 2/2018 delivery (assuming there are no issues)

Although I “believe” I know my way around a CPU…I have not a single clue of what all I need to get my Maslow up and cutting (i.e. NO IDEA @ ALL, I don’t know what software requirements nor how to use said software(s).) I’m desperately trying to start a at home woodworking/maker business and I intend on making my Maslow a crucial component of my future business.

any/all help and/or information is GREATLY appreciated!

from the very limited exposure I have of the Maslow community and Hannah & Bar I feel like its a big happy family and I’m hoping to not only gain vast knowledge but, to also earn my own spot in the family!

Again thank you all for your future time & consideration,
~Bill T.

4 Likes

Welcome to the Maslow family.
Basicly any pc or laptop with a USB port running either Windows, Mac or Linux will do.
Android is not supported at the moment, but a tablet that is not Android will also run the Maslow.
You want to update the Firmware and GroundControl weekly, so either you have internet in the workshop, or use something easy to carry around. Unless you take the newest software by pen-drive to your machine.
A good place to start is the Wiki: Home · MaslowCNC/GroundControl Wiki · GitHub
As for software, you need Arduino IDE or an alternative to upload the Firmware to the ArduinoMega. On your OS you need Python 2.7x and Kivy. The Wiki explains how to install those.

Be aware that the Maslow is not designed for mass production, due to its low speed. If your focus is more on custom designs, unique furniture or art, then that still could work out.

5 Likes

@WTHURLBYJR

Welcome abord!

What router are you planing on using?

You might want to look at this -

Thank you

3 Likes

@WTHURLBYJR for software a good place to start is the weekly updates http://www.maslowcnc.com/updates/?offset=1485382620981 is a good one.

3 Likes

Can’t believe how quickly you folks have responded. 2 thumbs WAY up!

I truly appreciate the help…

I mean no disrespect to Hannah/Bar or any of my future colleagues here (nor, intend on NOT following thru with my purchase on 12/1) but, I came across the DIY kit requirements…has anyone complied where to purchase everything from? it may be the “noob in me” typing but, I very briefly searched for a spocket and had little to no luck finding someone selling them.

@Gero It definitely appears to be FAR slower than what I normally see youtube makers using but, at 40"-40+" per minute, you and others don’t feel one could have something ready for sanding/stain/paint within an 8-9hr work day?

thanks again all and I’m foaming at the bit to get to work!

Any of you current Maslow owners and producing works?
Anyone have any knowledge/opinions of applying font to projects?

welcome @WTHURLBYJR,

enjoy the frontseat of the rollercoaster. :slight_smile:

one step at a time makes a great walk. i’ll be reading along with you journey, i don’t have a machine myself yet though i will try to help.

2 Likes

Fancy font work requires full coordination of all three axes for the details. I’m not sure that the current firmware has coordination with the z axis.

We’re still in the development process, refining the software and hardware for accuracy. I’d say it’s too early to try to make a living with this machine cutting parts for production, though it might be usable to make jigs and templates.

2 Likes

thanks for input freind, I am not 100% sure on router yet as I have a small collection of craigslist finds. I’m assuming I’d go with Bar’s suggestion of the Rigid R22002 unless of course Hannah/Bar and/or others here suggest something different/better.

any suggestions?

are you currently an owner/operator that’s up and running?

am I correct in giving most glory/respect to Hannah/Bar? are they the “head” of Maslow?

I was assuming Jigs & templates were a definite (i.e. Matthias Wandels various jigs as well as maybe Izzy Swans fold-up picnic tables and various other jigs/projects alike)

I’m absolutely devastated to hear that, Z axis isn’t up to par and that making a living via full time production may not be feasible…yet

I was really hoping to be able to flood Facebook Marketplace, Craigslist, Offer-up, Etsy, ETC with some choice CNC’d furniture and decor

are you aware of any free or open source sites where one can download files that need little to no reworking and can just be sent to Maslow/competitors machines for immediate production?

This is hobby class gear. It’ll be a great learning experience while (like virtually anything in the CNC arena) testing your frustration tolerance and adult language skills. Think if it as a way to see if you have enough interest to go further without a second mortgage or raiding the kids college fund. There’s a reason that a Maslow is 1/10 or less (like way less…) the cost of a basic commercial machine. That’s great for home gamers, but for a business not so good. Heck, it’s a fraction of a good cabinet saw.

That 40+ipm is more like half, plus divide it by 3 or 4 (or more) passes on a 3/4 sheet. Remember the precision isn’t as good as the expensive stuff, is it good enough or can you sand to fit?

When 3D printers were new the forums were full of people who were going to buy one, quit their day jobs, and make a living. A tiny percent succeeded after lots of hard work and living on cans of beans, most didn’t come close.

Not to be Moosie Downer, but… A Maslow will let you learn some basics (production shop stuff uses different software) and get your feet covered in sawdust (water and router’s don’t mix) while exploring the idea of a new or expanding small business while you have alternate means of support. For the actual business your time is far too valuable for one to be effective.

Now for some practical stuff. If you decide the moose is drinking swamp water you’ll need several Maslows since you can’t afford to be out of business if one breaks. You’ll still likely need that cabinet saw (maybe a $3K SawStop, cheaper than one ER visit), and a bunch of other tools including good dust collection. Shop space, utilities, insurance (including for you), sick/injury down time, etc. Done a business plan yet? Good way to get it all down on paper even if you’re not pitching it to the bank or investors (that includes yourself…). Got enough resources to live on for 6 to 12 months (or more) while getting started? Ever worked in the business before (or ran any business for that matter)? You’ll spend as much time on non-woodworking business matters as actually making stuff (although all that time the Maslow is running will help here). Family, if any, supportive? Explored the potential market? Ready to deal with the less than 10% chance of success, and have both an exit plan and plan B? Ready to work 16 hour days and forget what time off is? Considered working for somebody else to learn the business if you haven’t?

My youngest daughter is an entrepreneur. Works constantly, travels all over the world, won lots of awards, raised lots of money for the company. Lives on peanuts, calls Mom and Dad (mostly Mom…) for money to live on. Has become an expert on bedbug control from cheap apartments (really. Her local exterminator supply offered her a job). Loves it most of the time.

To shift gears, what are you planning to make?

4 Likes

the big problem with going the DIY route is the motors, ir you search e-bay for
#25 roller chain sprockets you should be able to find them.

1 Like

Opendesk is a company you should look at. It sounds like you would be looking to become one of their affiliated local makers. Search this forum for ‘Opendesk’ to see some discussion and personal projects using some of their designs.

2 Likes

Bar is the designer, Hannah is his girfriend who is helping him with a lot of
the work of turning the idea into a shipping kit.

look on youtube for Bar’s video on different routers and why they do or do not
look like good options for the maslow.

I don’t yet have my kit setup (garage space problem) but I do a bunch of design
work here and have created one of the linkage kits to improve the maslow.

David Lang

2 Likes

With the complexity of open source licensing that may not be as easy as you think. There’s a lot of personal use, no selling, designs so you need to figure out which ones you are allowed to sell. Or figure out how/if you can pay to license them.

1 Like

Welcome!

I just want to say +1000 for everything everyone has said. I would emphasize that Maslow isn’t designed to be the backbone of a shop. The cabinet shop next to where we work has a ShopBot that they run 10hrs a day and as much as the 16k they paid for it sounds like a lot, it pays for itself over time.

The goal of Maslow is to make it affordable for everyone to be able to get their feet wet with CNC. I wanted to learn how to use a full size CNC router for years but I could never find the right place where access to a machine was affordable. The maker space near where we work is good example. Membership is $150/month, the class to become CNC certified is $150, and machine time is $60/hour. It’s a fast machine and for someone running a maker business it might make more sense to look into renting machine time like that.

All accolades should go to the community :smile: As you saw with the flood of great advice you got the project is driven by the community. I mostly just do the boring things like make sure the taxes get paid and the stuff gets through customs. I couldn’t possibly keep up with the pace of innovation and creative problem solving that this community does.

I know everyone thinks Hannah and I are dating, but we’re business partners and old friends. We spend a LOT of time together so we usually get people guessing we’re siblings or dating but we just try to run a small business which is a little like dating and a little like being related.

9 Likes

What a awesome community this is, I’m BEYOND blown away by how accessible information has been, how welcoming & patient everyone has been (#NOOBLOVE) and to have a head of operations/owner commenting on my forum post within 24 hours of listing is something I’ve never experienced before.

@bar It’s wonderful to see that you and your business partner seem down-to-earth and sane. it appears success hasn’t gone to your heads.

as much as I’d love to be able to afford forking out 16k for a full-bore machine, I unfortunately don’t see being that liquid in my “near” future.

I am heartbroken to read, direct from the main man that my Maslow won’t be able to be the backbone of a shop. I am however hoping to be able to be taught and to teach myself with the help of this tremendous community the ability to master this system and software as to push our Maslows to the absolute limits and to possibly make us all stand back in awe with what we can create!

I REALLY don’t want this to NOT perform the way I so desperately need it to, If I can just get what my minds eye sees it doing into the software and onto a 4 x 8 piece of plywood. We’ll all be making money, spreading joy, and nurturing creativity of others!

Sorry for the potentially cheesy rant folks LOL

3 Likes

We could eventually all build 2 maslows and double the speed in that way.
:smiley:

1 Like

Back to back on the same stand

2 Likes

I’m absolutely devastated to hear that, Z axis isn’t up to par and that making a living via full time production may not be feasible…yet

I was really hoping to be able to flood Facebook Marketplace, Craigslist, Offer-up, Etsy, ETC with some choice CNC’d furniture and decor

keep in mind that the maslow is designed to make things from big sheets of
plywood. The results tend to be large, and are therefor expensive to ship.

are you aware of any free or open source sites where one can download files
that need little to no reworking and can just be sent to Maslow/competitors
machines for immediate production?

you won’t get rich doing the same thing everyone else can do. you get rich by
finding a way to do things that other people aren’t doing.

With a maslow, that’s going to be customizing things. Even if it’s only making
custom signs, you need to enter the text to customize it. And you really need to
be able to adjust the sizes of things. Think kids versions (in several sizes as
kids grow), dollhouse versions, Adult versions, Big and Tall versions (I know a
lot of people over 6’ who would love to be able to get furniture that’s just a
few inches taller than standard)

3 Likes

OpenDesk has some interesting things along this line, worth a look.

2 Likes