Corner chissel instead of dogbones

Has anyone used a chissel like this instead of dogbones? seems cleaner and does not require any measuring

https://www.toolstop.co.uk/trend-c-chisel-corner-chisel-hss-p10736

1 Like

My understanding is that the dogbone isn’t only to achieve a 90 corner which otherwise wouldn’t be square, but to also relieve a point of stress that could become a crack/de-lamination later in life after different plys absorb and release different amounts of humidity (again, over time or repeated exposure to changing conditions). That said, I’m sure that it’s probably not as common as 100%, but that the possibility exists and if it happens at a stress point (like an inside corner) it could easily spread over time.

That might be an extra benefit, but i find them too “industrial”. I just came across them on the interwebs, and thought they could be a nice solution.

I think the lesson is both that they can be overdone and underdone…

I also do not necessarily care for the dogbone look, unless I’m trying to showcase the CNC/industrial look. I feel they are more appropriate for take down furniture. For regular furniture, in addition to the corner chisels, I would also highly recommend a square-shaped file. This way you can sneak up on a mortise with square corners. The Maslow can hog out the bulk of the material and you manually sneak up on a snug fit. Chisels are a bit more difficult to use on plywood, due to the different hardness in the layers of wood & glue.

I found this from a FabLab in Denmark that explains how to make better looking dogbones: http://fablab.ruc.dk/more-elegant-cnc-dogbones/

Essentially it says to dogbone out the corners just enough so that the parts will fit together, and then it will be a lot less noticeable. Or if you want it to be almost invisible you can dogbone out the corners a little less than needed and then hammer the parts together.

Or just file the corners by hand, especially if you’re only making one of the thing.

3 Likes

I have this corner chissel and it’s mainly used for square corner hindges. I wouldn’t use this tool for anything more then 3/16 of an inch. If you try to use this tool for a corner that is cut through it will blow the back out on you. It’s a great little tool for what it’s made for but I really don’t think it’s what your looking for.

1 Like

Why wouldn’t you use an edge pull saw to square off corners. or a square file? yes it’s a little bit of work. Understanding time is money if your doing any production work.