Tab and slot corners

When using tab and slot to hold your pieces together, what do you use to clean up the corners of the slot? Just a chisel, or is there a more convenient way of squaring up the corners?

First post here, ordered my kit a few weeks ago. Busy cleaning out a spot for my maslow once it arrives.

r-

3 Likes

Welcome to the group. Would this be a glue joint your asking about?

Thank you

1 Like

Welcome, if you have cash, one tool can cut tabs, flush-trim and sand.

If you prefer hand work one of these “are they called Japan saw?”
2 Likes

I do own a sonicrafter, but I’d thinking of a different type of tab…
I might be using the wrong term or just not explaining myself properly, sorry.

What I’m thinking of is you cut a square hole in one piece and a square tab on the edge of another so the two pieces can be put together. The corners of the square hole will be rounded since the cutting bit is round but the corners of the tab are square. I’m asking what do people use to carve out the rounded corners of the hole so the square tab will fit.

And yes I intend to glue the pieces together.

thanks, sorry for the confusion
r-

3 Likes

Are you familiar with dog bones? Basically with CNC you overshoot corners so that squares can fit.

2 Likes

Can you post a picture of the joint from somewhere?

is this what you mean?

Thank you

tabs

I didn’t know the term, but I’ve seen Dog Bones on cut pieces and it’d do what I’m needing. Is there an easy way to incorporate them into the design? So far, Makercam is my only CAM experience.

thanks
r-

2 Likes

So for this, enemy board or sand paper, fine wet sanding, then glue. Use wet paper towel or sponge to clean up excess glue.

Thank you

1 Like

31de775cbb07ff9e

I think I found a picture that will convey the gist of my question…

What is commonly used to turn the rounded corners of the first part into squared corners of the second?

r-

3 Likes

Yes,
a Japanese hand saw, or
a 3/4” (or larger) wood chisel (keep it stored with its protective sheath

would do.

Sanding is always a good idea.

2 Likes

It is a question of the angel of bit you use and the type of bit. Most of what I’ve seen is a jig cut or 90 degree sideways cut.

Thank you

1 Like

This might help -

from -

Thank you

2 Likes

How about https://cuttingedgecnc.co.uk/internalradii/

1 Like

Here is a video on Finger joints -

Thank you

1 Like

Here is dogbones in fusion 360.

5 Likes

That is awesome! Great tool.

Thank you

1 Like

The dogbone is what I usually do…I add them to the CAD file when I am drawing it up

2 Likes

Thanks everyone. I’d talked to my father about it (he is actually a woodworker, unlike me, I’m just a guy with some of the tools). He suggested everything mentioned here as a possibility. I decided I’d ask here if there was a best tool for the job.

The information about dog bones is very useful and tells me I need to put some effort into learning fusion360. I’ve never used a real cad program until last week when I taught myself the very basics of librecad. Now I can at least draw up my ideas. Next step has to be going to 3d.

randy

5 Likes

dogbones can either be at a 90 degree angle (you have to go half the width of
the bit), or at a 45 degree angle (where you only have to go .15 bit width)

look at what the can program you use can do.

Makercam can’t implement dogbones for you, but you can create them in your
drawing before sending it to makercam.

3 Likes