Creating the Ron Paulk WorkBench on the Maslow

Something like this randomly picked adapter?

https://www.amazon.com/Amana-Tool-Precision-Reducer-Overall/dp/B000P4ULRS

3 Likes

I bought one similar to this, and I just want to warn you that these have no “lip” to keep it falling into the chuck. They work ok, but they are tricky to use.

The ones I’ve used are tight enough they stick to the shank and take a little effort to move. Amana seems to be a decent brand and I’d expect good tolerances, but without actually trying it there’s no guarantee.

FWIW, the Maslow did a pretty fine job cutting out those sawhorses (not exactly rectangles). And on the top, it placed and cut some pretty nice dados for the router guides, and marked the positions for all those holes.

Would I do it again? After I use the bench for awhile I’ll let you know. After all, the files are in hand, so it would be pretty simple. My machine is more precise than the first run, but I would love to solve the 3/4” hole conundrum.

2 Likes

Here’s how I’d solve the ¾" hole conundrum. Just because we have a tool capable of an operation (e.g. Maslow) doesn’t mean that we should use it.

For the bench dog holes, precision is key, so I’d use Maslow to drill pilot holes. Then I’d come back with an appropriately sized forstner bit to drill the finished holes. To ensure perpendicular alignment, I’d use a drill attachment like the Milescraft AccuDrill Mate. I have one, and they work.

Investment in the forstner bit and AccuDrill Mate will pay recurring dividends. That, and the drilling operation would be completed in a fraction of the time it’d take Maslow.

2 Likes

I bought the 3/8 and 1/8 versions of this mainly because they had a lip on them. The 1/8th is good for using Dremel bits.

4 Likes

Have you actually tested them and used them? I went through three different manufactures before I found one that barely had enough clamping force to hold the 1/8" bit. The others were clamped tight with the collet but the bit fell right out. I ended up manually deepening the relief cut to help it clamp better.

2 Likes

I did use the 3/8" one and it was fine but I have not used the 1/8" yet.

Exactly what I did. The maslow marked the spots, and I used a brand new forstner bit. Got the job done, but tearout on the 3/4" ply was difficult to avoid. Routing them out would have been better.

Thanks!

2 Likes