Default Frame Angle

and the builds end up more consistant if you use a story-stick approach :slight_smile:

David Lang

1 Like

I’m trying to model this up, but I’m still having trouble. Would you be willing to sketch up a quick diagram?

can you give me a quick phone call?

David Lang

does this make it clear?

It does, but the part I don’t understand is where the kicker connects on the back of the legs. Is it still right at the bottom of the back of the leg?

I will call

make the kickers 30" and swing the legs back so the bottom of the kicker is flush with the back of the leg (the top of the kicker will stick out a bit)

then when you add the rear crossmember, you can put it right above the kickers (no measurement needed)

1 Like

Great! That sounds very clear and easy to do…now I’ve just got to figure out how to model the position of everything in onshape…the mates are going to be a little tricky

1 Like

I don’t fully fix the kickers and legs. I have a flat piece that I can
unsurpress when I need to reference ‘ground’ and have the tips of the legs set
to be tangent to that

but the legs I angle manually, and the kickers I set with a face parallel to the
front of the legs, but nothing prevents the kickers from moving forward or back,
and nothing prevents the legs from moving forward or back. If I took the time to
model a pivot hole (or put a mate in just the right place) I wouldn’t have this
problem, but that would take enough time that I haven’t bothered :slight_smile:

1 Like

Are the angles and distances right on the bolt together frame or do I need to increase the motor distance as well? @bar

2 Likes

The angles and distances are correct for the bolt together frame.

The default frame is still in progress, I believe I can have the design updated by the end of the day today.

4 Likes

My work room was intended to be a use able room and is framed out with 2x4s to add walls. I was thinking out mounting my frame right to those 2x4s to increase stability. In theory I should be able to make some minor adjustments and use those 2x4s as the back legs right?

1 Like

you can also hinge the top of the front legs to the walls and have the machine
be adjustable (and able to fold out of the way)

David Lang

1 Like

So I am a little confused. I am trying to build my own frame with storage behind it. So what should the angle on the front of the machine be coming from the floor. I was trying to put it about 10 degree but in here I am seeing 15 and 20 and I don’t even think those are being pulled from the floor which is the perpendicular surface I would like to be measuring from.

This is what I measure after rotating the default frame to sit flat on the floor, if this helps.

edit: Here is a link to a Maslow frame with storage:
https://www.summet.com/blog/2018/03/03/long-board-sheet-storage-maslow-cnc-frame/

1 Like

That’s about right for the default frame angle. We know that 20 degrees from vertical is too far back, we’ve had reports that 5 degrees is too far forward, so it seems that the 10-15 degree range is about right. We haven’t had anyone do a set of accuracy tests at different angles and sled weights since we got chain sag compensation added (unless it’s happened in the last couple of weeks when I’ve been too busy to keep up with the posts)

this default angle works, so until someone can do more testing and report the results, it’s what we’re sticking with for our recommendation.

1 Like

Thanks