Different sled design and few simple mods and upgrades

Dear maslow community! I am originally from Estonia, Europe but currently live and work in Monterrey, Mexico. I am building my own house and I want to make a very custom designed sauna interior, think of a design Zaha Hadid would do and multiply it with high-tech scandinavian minimalism times parametricism :slight_smile: Due to short visit in Florida and the waiting time of full kit deliveries I ordered only hardware bag, controller board and the z axis kit, bought Ridgid 22002 router at home depot in Florida and made the metal parts myself at work with a badass waterjet out of 2mm mild sheet metal.

2 Likes

this came out from the MultiCam 3000 Series waterjet

1 Like

1 Like

So this image show that these parts are actually 2x thicker than the Maslow native ones (left is the support I got from the z-axis kit and right is my own)

1 Like

The best wood I found at Lowes already here in Mexico was the construction grade very robust and very cheap 2x4’ and there was only one good 10 feet piece to buy so I recalculated the materials and did the whole frame with 1 piece of 10’ and 8 pieces of 8’ pine wood. The 18mm 4x8 plywood is originally from Chile :slight_smile:
As I could not find the rubber thread to tension the chain, I made a quick solution of the remaining chain hanging down with a small counterweight as a scrap piece of 1/2" and approx 10" long rebar with some concrete still on it (I cut what exceeded out from a recetly cemented column). So the chain is being leaded by the help of two screws not so far from the motors, see pictures - one screw gives little offset from the 10’ beam and other acts to slide and guide the chain down with its weight.

1 Like

It works pretty well and does not mess up the chain at no point.

1 Like

My new generation of MacBook did not connect to the Arduino mega 2560 (ebay 3$ clone I had lying around for 2 years already without a purposeful use) with the long 3 meter usb cable so I had to connect it with the short 40 cm usb cable. That made the position of the laptop to be somewhere near and I placed the electronics on the top beam and a small metal bent bar as a hung shelf for the laptop nearby.
IMG_5407

1 Like

Also as a big triangulation fan I kept only the original sleds three ring piece orifices in the place, and designed a triangular sled that has 2" filleted rounded corners. I think it is also more compact design in terms of material usage (tbc). I will check out how it works in practice after the hardware final swap to this sled but I see there would not be any sliding issues as the whole setup with some junk square shape temporary sled did not mess up anywhere on the surface either.

1 Like

So here is the picture just how it looks after it finished cutting my modded sled… notice i have a small extension at the top bar with a led lightbulb to work at night as in the third floor there are no lights currently (sorry for the mess… the house and especially the future sauna is being still heavily under construction).

7 Likes

water jet these -

http://maslowcommunitygarden.org/EZ-Motor-Mounts.html

Thank you

2 Likes

@arne2050 I see you joinde an hour ago. Welcome to our group.

Good work. Would you mind if I used some of this post in Made on Maslow Magazine?

Thank you

1 Like

Hi Bee, of course you may use any of the above!

He was asking if your access to a water cutter and brake meant that you could
manufacture a batch of the new motor mounts for others.

David Lang

2 Likes

@dlang His reply was to my request to use this post in MOM mag.

It’s all good.

Thank you

@arne2050

This remains my sled -

I like your design too.

Thank you

Here is an updated final sled photo.
The advantage of the triangular design is that once you finished and move the sled down a bit, you can see the result quicker as it reveals the view faster :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I would like to have more a robust chain ring and supports as well. A local shop here can cut them. Are the digital files for the ring and supports available somewhere on the Maslow site?
Thanks.

Take an look at the files in the Community Garden page for the ring. Those might be what you’re looking for?

take a look at the pantograph kits as well.

David Lang