Documenting Maslow - what am I missing?

Hmm… sent it to the gmail address I’ve been using to communicate with you… just re-sent it…

That email isn’t tied to my github user account (use a different one for that).

I’ve joined the hackmd thing using github… can you add @madgrizzle that way?

Oh, cool! I found you both via github usernames. You should both have access via Github-linked accounts now.

1 Like

Ok, seems that I can push a file to a specific branch. I pushed one of the notes to experimental branch under docs/test.

You can not push? Maybe you need to be added to the maintainers to do it? Do you use github for hackmd login?

Both Pull and Push open a dialog that asks me to select the Github repo, but that list is empty. When I click “Authorize more repos” it takes me to the “Update HackMD’s Repository Access” on Github. I can see that the repo is “installed” there. Attempting to connect it again gives the ownership error. Uncertain if I should be able to push/pull from a repo I’m not owner of…

I made you a member of maintainer team… try again.

It still says “This action must be performed by an organization owner.” Sigh. I emailed their support.

Ah, I see part of the problem. We have a sub-team called “Maintainers.” But that does not imply any sort of “Maintainer Role.” If you click on Roles in the People list, you’ll see that nobody actually has the Maintainer permission.

Are you sure? I checked the settings and for each repo, the maintainer team has maintainer permission…

Huh. You’re right. I guess it really does need to be “Owner” privs. You can also see it knows that the HackMD app is installed :man_shrugging:t2:
I guess if you import all the docs, we can at least edit them in HackMD, then you can publish them via PR when we’re happy? Or maybe their support will get back to me.

Or if you really trusted us, you could make us organization owners too. Whatever’s easiest for you.

I pulled the index.md file in…

However, it doesn’t seem to render correctly… something with how the screenshot is handled (can hackmd handle images at all?) Take a look at it, it’s titled “Home”. It shows up fine in github pages (and pretty sure its fine in webcontrol off-line help).

The image paths need to be absolute in the markdown if the images aren’t also hosted by the same site. So the path “assets/Screenshot.png” works fine on github because the assets folder exists and contains Screenshot.png. I’m guessing y’all did it this way because it also works on WebControl’s UI, because we ship the assets folder as part of the WebControl, which means that you can then serve relative paths (rather than contacting the internet for the assets).

Anyways, my recommendation would be to use absolute paths in the docs and github, and then use a CI build script to turn them into relative paths during the deployment process. Shouldn’t be hard.

I am more interested in documenting all things Maslow than WebControl specifically (although that is now a very important component). Are there any concerns that this doc should reside somewhere “higher” such as the Maslow CNC repo? Who owns that? I assume it is actively maintained?

Bar (whose approval we received earlier in the thread) is who you’re looking for. To summarize my understanding:

• WebControl will be the recommended app; GroundControl will likely fade away.
  • Calibration and WebControl-specific things should be in the WebControl tutorials.
  • The frame build is also on github (Maslow Community Garden), which is the “onboarding start here” point. I believe Bar can also approve those PRs.

What I’m unsure about:

I a believer in “the perfect is the enemy of the good”, so I’ll continue on here for now unless there are objections, then we can move sections as we deem appropriate.

@madgrizzle I don’t want to pollute your build with out-of-context info. Any issue with proceeding here?

I chose HackMD because I was under the impression we could manage multiple repositories within a single team. We now have a HackMD team “Maslow.” We could apply a tag based upon which Github repository which each Markdown file belongs to. Then, I’m under the impression the owner can simply make a PR from the HackMD UI and accept it into their own upstream.

I missed that. Very cool.

I’m still mostly inferring and speculating, but it looks possible.

I’ll start tagging stuff and trying to create some meta-structure (Table of Contents)?

You are correct that the relative paths were used so the same files could be used for both github pages and off-line help in webcontrol. If someone can figure out how to use absolute paths and change them so it works in off-line help, I’m all for it. Beyond me though :slight_smile: