Looks cool, have a few questions

Reading the FAQ of maslow community garden, and had a few questions and a comment.

1. When you create a project does it automatically create a github repo? If so that is pretty cool.
  2. The forum idea is cool also, but it just takes you to a post here in discuss, how is that different than a comment section if you can’t have different topics?

Overall I think this is a great idea, since there really isn’t a place comparable to thingiverse for sheet cnc. The closest thing is some projects on inventables, but since there machine is not 4x8, you don’t have much in the way of full size furniture. I hope to be able to contribute one day.

Thanks.

Shhhhh don’t look! It’s not ready yet :wink:

1. Yes it does automatically create a github repo. You can also create your own repo and add it to the list of tracked projects if you want complete control over your files.

2. You are right. The goal is to embed a category, not just a topic. Unfortunately discourse doesn’t allow that right now so I’m going to have to write a discourse plugin to make it possible which is going to take some time. Here’s my post on the discourse forum about how to do that:

2 Likes

There is a service similar to Thingiverse

it’s Disciples of CNC.

https://www.disciplesofcnc.com

It’s just in it’s infancy stage. You can help test it out by creating an account.

I started it based on this Thread -

File sharing free

Bar is also setting up something and I know it’s going to be amazing.

These are 2 totally different resources. I am aiming at all CNC users as a 1 stop shop. It’s taking time to build such a broad picture and do it right.

Thank you

1 Like

Wow, mind blown! :thinking:
I like the idea of creating a git repo, I have a couple of items in my personal git repo, namely my setup for the Raspberry Pi. Also working on a Docker script I forked and am editing that can create a live USB with kivy/Ground Control.

2 Likes

OMG - I just figured out how to look at it. Way Cool @bar

Thank you

1 Like

Does there need to be a category for every item in the garden? Just seems like the forum might get cluttered then.

1 Like

@bar, I assume you are talking about a subcategory under the “Maslow Community Garden” category? Does Discourse allow sub-sub-categories? If we get enough projects, I could see needing to organize them into areas like “Furniture”, “Art”, “Toys”, etc.

2 Likes

Yeah, I think sub-categories under the Maslow Community Garden topic would be the goal…from looking into it it seems like quite a bit of work will be needed to make that happen so we’re probably stuck with a single topic for each project for at least a couple months

1 Like

Baby steps make sense to me. I’m working a software project right now that I have had to break into numerous tiny bites to move it forward. Do we know if reorganizing them later will be difficult?

I’m betting reorganizing them later will be a manual task, but if we have so many projects that it’s a hassle to put them in sub-categories…that would be wonderful :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Another thing I noticed that is missing is the author on the garden page. Shouldn’t the author be given credit? And also would allow in future to be able to browse by author.

The goal is to move away from projects which have a single author to projects which are made by many people working together.

We do keep track of the project creator in the file ROBOT.md so we could add it or sort projects by their initiator if we want, but the real goal is to create a space where projects can live on beyond their initial designer (much like the Maslow software was created by me, but many people have contributed to making it better)

Edit: It is worth noting that the person who creates the project is automatically invited to have full access to the repository which contains the files, while anyone else trying to make a change will have to propose the change through a pull request.

2 Likes

@bar Will Plypad live there? I’m making an assumption as a git repo I can fork a project too?

Thank you

I love the new file sharing. It is just like I dreamed it would be. We are going to start a collaboration team soon and start cranking out files.

You can most certainly make a fork on a project. Every project brings with it the entire suite of git/GitHub tools and integrations!

I thought about putting PlyPAD up, but I feel like the files I have for the PlyPAD project aren’t complete enough to really be a ready to download project. If and when we do a second PlyPAD I would love to make it as a community collaborative effort from the ground up

1 Like

I’ve been thinking for a long time on a very controversial design. It uses a shopping cart to form a collapsible shelter for the homeless made of wood and Tyvek

http://www.dupont.com/products-and-services/construction-materials/building-envelope-systems/brands/air-barrier-systems/products/tyvek-commercialwrap-building-wrap.html

It would be rain proof and a sever temperature barrier.

@bar I love what you are doing.

Thank you

1 Like

Wow, that would be stereotypical and offensive, i love it :smiley:

1 Like

Mine is just more convenient, cost effective, and stylish, It’s been done.

http://www.elkinsdiy.com/mobile-shelters/homeless-push-cart/

Thank you

1 Like

Ok, did not know that. I’d think the solution would be to try and get the homeless people off the street, not in a tent on the street.

When it gets cold here people die on the sidewalk. I’m all for getting them off the street. The numbers are at least 10:1 ration of people on the street to spaces. It’s a stop gap. I can’t afford to give a house to someone but I can afford to give out a $20 shelter. I dated a girl when I was 15 , she was 24. She went on to become homeless. Her daughter is now in her 30’s and homeless too in Northern California. It is an issue I think about often. I’m contributing how I can.

Thank you

1 Like