Dogbone failures

Hey all!

You have all been a wealth of knowledge so far, and I bet you can help me pinpoint my problem here too.

I dove in a switched from sketchup to fusion360. it took a while to get used to the tools and workflow, but I think i have it down.

now I have odd problems with the dogbone tool.

I get this failure:

if you zoom in, it’s full of jargon that I cannot decript.

the dogbone tool works on some faces, but not all.
and even if I get this failure, sometimes it puts dogbones in anyway.
but not every time.

any ideas?

-km

1 Like

i’m still not 100% sure as to why, but most of the things im finding says that its an error with an Addin. its suggesting you perform a Clean Uninstall of Autodesk Fusion 360 and then re-install.

here’s where I got the information and they tell you how to go about doing the reinstal

1 Like

The Dogbone add in is throwing an error because something unexpected happened. This could be just due to poor coding. The last line mentions BRepEdge which is Boundary Representation Edge so it could be that you have not selected an edge for it to act on. Best bet is to contact the developer of the Dogbone add in.

I know I’m responding to an old post - but…, I’m actually the developer of this dogbone AddIn.

In case anyone else, who has problems with the AddIn, is reading this - by far the easiest way of solving any issue with the addIn is to leave a post on the GITHUB issues page (here). I generally respond within a few hours, and at worst case within a day or two.

My addIn is actually quite robust, at least compared to its predecessors - in the past 2 years, I’ve only needed to fix a couple of small issues. By far the biggest issues are actually with the underlying F360. For instance using dogbones in a parametric model only works sometimes - and that’s 100% due to F360 not behaving. The issue raised in this post is an F360 one too.

The addIn will only place dogbones in areas that are viable - so if you put dogbones on a component, it won’t let you put more dogbones on a copy of that component (because they’re already there from the original component).

I do this as a retiree and as a hobby - it’s totally free, and I plan on it always being so. If people use it and like it, so much the better - I’ve not received any negative comments yet (there’s always a first time though).

pjl

3 Likes

Welcome! It’s an awesome feature to have given to the world…thank you! :grinning: