Edit: The Wednesday Jan 31st Kickstarter Update is posted

We haven’t forgotten the weekly update, we’re just waiting for an extra long video on building the frame to render and upload to YouTube :stuck_out_tongue:

Update: Check it out here: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/maslow4/maslow4-affordable-compact-large-format-cnc-router/posts/4018155

The bulk of the update is this excellent video from Anna on how to build the basic frame:

As always, let us know if you have any questions, comments, thoughts, or suggestions.

2 Likes

Job looks really nice. I think watching a female do this kind of work is inspiring.I wish I could find a partner that could help me with projects.Good work all the way around. Your comments about it’s not necessary to do this aspect or that and the way handled were right on. I can tell your detail oriented and that’s what it calls for. My father always said if your not going to do something right don’t do it. You did it right it’s always nice to say look what I accomplished.
I on the other hand have to take a different approach. Because of space that I don’t have I can see no other way than to make a takedown model platform. I have a shop that’s ridiculously small so when I’m not using the Maslow I’ll have to take it down. I thought maybe a foldable hinged design with fold out wedged ( angled) sides and a drop in top rail. I promise I will send photos when completed.I can honestly say I have never followed anyone’s plans on anything. I always have to put my twist on things and sometimes that’s a good thing and sometimes not so good , but this time my changes are due to necessity and the saying goes necessity is the mother of invention. Happy building.

nicely done.

a couple things to make it easier

1. the brace shapes are more complex than they need to be, simple triangles on
    the corners and rectangles on the middle ones are good enough (and faster to
    cut)

2. to square the frame measure the diagonals and if they are the same, the frame
    is square. you don’t need a tape measure, a piece of string is good enough (the
    two measurements just need to match, not be any particular value. This is also
    more accurate than what you can do with a square.

you can also use a string for positioning the inner pieces, just make it the
length of the long boards, then fold it in quarters and you have the distance
between the verticals

(not that a tape measure is an unusual tool to have, but some people get
obsessed with exact measurements, so it’s good to remind people that it’s not
needed sometimes)

David Lang

2 Likes

Haha thanks! I’m no carpenter but I tried my best! I like the hinged design idea and brought it up with Bar awhile back. He is worried about the rigidity of the frame being impacted, but I think with the right hinges it could be great. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with!

1 Like

These are some great recommendations. I particularly like the string idea because we are trying to keep the instructions as minimalist as possible in terms of required tools for those that don’t have a well equipped shop. Or maybe they don’t have a shop at all. You are spot on about the shape of the plates too :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Thanks Anna you got it with the right hinges it will work I’m looking for piano hinges. I have to give it a shot I have no other alternative.
All the best to you Anna, Happy building!