Fail of the Week

Fail of the Week. F-Up of the Week. Whatever you would like to call it.

I am going to start a Project of the Week thread as well, but if you are like me, I tend to make mistakes and fail before I figure things out to complete a project.

I think failures are learning points. Just another step in reaching your goal. People often omit their mistakes or failures, perhaps out of fear of ridicule, and I would encourage everyone to not make fun of what has been done, but offer advice on how to do it better.

Iā€™ll start this off.

Iā€™m doing three different bathroom renovations right now, and I have planned to build the vanity cabinets myself. I have used a combination of hand tools and the cnc machines to do them.

I decided that I wanted to try to make the drawers (at least the inside) on the cnc machine, and I attempted to use Box Maker in Easel, and I could cut to size and assemble with box joints and glue. It seemed simple, but wasnā€™t.

As you can see, my box joints donā€™t line up. I made some adjustments and recut it two or three more times before I said ā€˜to hell with itā€™, and just made dadoes for the pieces to go together.

These pieces donā€™t look great either, so I will redo it for the other drawer.

I suppose the lesson learned here is that there is always another way. Instead of fighting with the box joints that I didnā€™t understand, I switched to dadoes and had a working project on my next cut. I need to refine my design some more, but it is moving in the right direction.

1 Like

He estado estudiando esa soluciĆ³n, los diseƱadores le llaman ā€œhuesosā€ y se trata de aƱadir circulos a las esquinas de los Ć”ngulos internos, con un diĆ”metro apenas un poco mas grande que la fresa que uses en el router. Con esta imagen me explico un poco https://pin.it/7vQckQqiC

2 Likes

congrats on the progression of using your tools. I think you have a great attitude to share the project and its failings and your intent in learning is to be applauded. It looks to me like you only had issue with that one piece and were pretty close. Iā€™ve made a couple boxes with finger joints that are typically laser cut, but the trick is in the corners and getting the pattern to fit correctly. I typically draw a bunch of boxes and overlap and subtract them and then copy and rearrange. There has to be a faster way to do it and I thought I saw a box software link recentlyā€¦ if I can find it Iā€™ll share.

1 Like

Has it been a week already? Time flies when youā€™re making junk.

Iā€™d sure like to encourage some others to post some stuff up. Show us your fails, and how you resolved it.

Hereā€™s a really simple one. I set up a cut and walked away, and when I came back to look at it, I was like ā€œWhat the heck is that? Thatā€™s not what it is supposed to look like at all!ā€ Well, in my haste, I forgot to secure the piece to the wasteboard, so the bit pushed the piece around, and this is what it was doing. Ugh.

Hereā€™s another shot, if you zoom in a look at it, you can see the smoke coming out. Itā€™s a good thing I caught it when I did. I sure wouldnā€™t want my F of the Week to be a picture of my burnt-down shop.

3 Likes

Got some nice smoke going there. Did the gcode finish and it sat they spinning the bit against the wood

1 Like

No. The board was not affixed to the wasteboard, so when the bit got deep enough it actually moved the piece, which made the cuts not line up any more. When it went to do the next pass even deeper, but on a fresh line, it was a bit too aggressive. I wasnā€™t far away so I literally heard it sound wrong and got over there to shut it down, but yeah it was smoking. Donā€™t leave your machine unattended. lol.

2 Likes