File sharing free

I’m new to here, but I just paid for mine. Is there a place here for sharing the gcode or sng file to other people since this is open source. I plan on making Christmas yard art with mine and I will share all of my files once I get the maslow. Either way, can you guys make a link on the main page for a library of file and people can have a picture of project with the file.

3 Likes

Welcome the Maslow Forums! We look forwards to seeing the cool stuff you make! :smiley:

The repository we have been using for community files is in the MaslowCNC github:

https://github.com/MaslowCNC/CommunityGarden

There have been another couple of options show up, I know @Bee has figured out a file sharing option as well outside of github.

I see. Is there anyway to move it here or create a hyperlink from the main menu that would make it easier to find. I think that would improve the contributions.

1 Like

Maybe an admin can make a pinned topic in this category that has the link.

1 Like

Below is a link to the information on sharing form Evernote:

https://github.com/MaslowCNC/CommunityGarden/wiki/Community-Contributed-Files

The link looks the same but is a different location.

Thank you

1 Like

I’m in the same boat at @Sharpsburg_Woodworke. Waiting on my February shipment. Can’t wait!

Until then, I’m trying to make a log of things I want to do. I came across this today https://www.instagram.com/p/BerSIOdBFdA/ . Does anyone recognize this file? I think it would be dope to make!

1 Like

I made almost that exact same chair years ago. Came across plans on paper that I purchased and cut templates from. I can say the chair has held up well through the years and packs down small. With the Maslow I’m pretty sure I can draw it and cut it again from plywood (used cedar 1st time)

1 Like

I like that chair a lot and seems efficient on the use of plywood. If you ever get/make the plans, please post them in the community garden (assuming that is legal to do so).

2 Likes

I don’t see the forums the same way a non-admin does (maybe I need to make an account just for that purpose) but there should be a sticky at the top of every category with links to most of the important off-forum resources.

Can you look at the Projects category and see if there’s a pinned topic?

EDIT: Pinning is weird on this forum, I’m finding. I can, as an admin, pin a topic to a category but then I (as a user) also have the option to unpin the cagegory, just for me. That completely defeats the purpose of pinning, in my opinion, but whatever.

I think it’s something an admin can do (based upon googling it). I’m not a forum admin.

Sorry, I meant do you, as a user, see a pinned topic at the top of the category called “About the Projects cagegory.”?

No, I do not. 20 char.

Okay thanks for the feedback. I’ll dig into the Admin docs and see if there’s a way to super-duper-always-show-the-darn-thing pin a topic. :wink:

1 Like

I believe there is based upon my googling last night. It’s an admin setting… somewhere.

This topic came up really early on and I remember now what the deal is. Generally there’s a time limit that a topic will remain pinned: this can be set to a very distant date, which I’ll do.

Here’s the oddity: When a user reads a pinned topic, it automatically unpins for that user. (That’s a site setting you can change) There’s also an “Unpin” option for any pinned topics so a user can unpin pinned topics as well. (That has to be removed with CSS)

So the moral of the story is: it’s very difficult to control what appears at the top of a forum! I’ll talk with bar and see what we can do about the “About” posts. I had intended for those to be continuously updated as things change but if they don’t stay at the top, there’s really no point.

2 Likes

This is the type of format sharing that I am talking about. https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com
That is a great site for sketch up file sharing. I think that if we contribute our files in the same way and keep them free then the Woodworkers that can’t do the programming can just download and cut.

1 Like

Can you please explain the title of this post? The title and the original and follow up don’t match my understanding? FWW - I am working on a site for sharing files. I have to prioritize the number of projects I have. I do lots of testing here, and have developed some solutions. I have found a solution giving me a place to start on a file share. The issue is while it is a good start it has some bugs. Anyway before going into it fully I need some clarification of the title vs post.

Thank you

What I’m thinking is free file sharing before people try to monetize their projects. For instance, you design a computer desk that takes a week. Once you are done with the hours of work to design it, then what do you do with the file. Some people may try to profit from it. I want to see that it stays open source and you would upload your file somewhere to allow others to download for free. That somewhere is what I’m asking about. Can we design a free warehouse that those people can upload their work with a picture for others to utilize. Sketchup’s 3d warehouse was a good example. There are some 3d printer sites that have done this as well.

We are in uncharted waters right now. As far as I know, there is no example of cnc open sourced file sharing.

2 Likes

I have no problem if someone wants to monetize their projects. That’s within their rights to do so as long as they don’t infringe on other people’s copyrights (i.e., don’t take someone else’s work and try to sell it).

For those that want to openly share their work, we have the community garden and @Bee indicated he’s working on another (better) way to share files.

3 Likes

And selling stuff is how users can finance more stuff, like supplies, computers, or more Maslows. Some days it might even go for lunch and a place to put the stuff or even live and house a Maslow.

Everybody doesn’t have a spare pile of hobby cash lying around or somebody to give it to them. Mrs Moose wants to know what it’s for and approve it, and the mooselettes think the cash flow is only one way…

2 Likes