Fire suppression system?

I wouldn’t make the fire detection part of the Arduino setup - one possible cause of fire is when the Arduino is not operating correctly.

4 Likes

To know you can rely on a fire sensing system, you really need to test it out to be sure it works as intended. You shouldn’t need to actually start a fire, just get things warm enough to trigger your alarm.

I think I’m just going to buy one of those stove top fire canisters mentioned above and make a longer fuse for it that goes down really close to the router bit for now until I figure out something more high-tech.

1 Like

If it’s low-tech and it works, that’s the best solution of all!

1 Like

this looks like a good warning system. which can be hooked up the aux 1 port to auto shut off router

https://www.amazon.com/Alloet-Sensor-Detector-Module-Arduino/dp/B076M7K1TL/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1541424972&sr=8-13&keywords=flame+sensor+relay+arduino

unit on amazon has the relay on same board as flame sensor so easier to wire up.

initereseting to note that it detects infrared light so its plausible that it could be mounted close to the router bit and detect when it is getting hot enough to emit IR light and turn off router before a flame is even started.

2 Likes

Looks like an add-on that couldn’t hurt.

I would assume that this would require a focusing lens to mount the sensor out of the dust collection zone (plus extensive testing). Has anyone played with these before?

P.S. As with all of these similar topics before - I don’t think anyone is suggesting that additional safety measures would imply less operator monitoring - Operating a CNC is dangerous - you should never leave it un-attended!

1 Like

I ordered one to play with. The ones with the relay included I could only find from china. Amazon has an IR only sensor if you do not want the relay. a small tube or 3d printed widget could be put over the ir sensor to focus the energy. Dust might be an issue, but I think it can be overcome .The youtube video above shows it working with the flame quite far away.

1 Like

A you planing to put arduino-nano or something on the sled (would only cut router power) or add wires and have it separate?

I think that the one thing I haven’t seen addressed here (may have missed it) but an IR sensor could be pretty useless with only a small amount of dust buildup blocking it.

2 Likes

New guy here:

Is there anything particularly difficult about an automatic sprinkler system? I just noticed that automatic sprinkler heads are $10 a pop. Maybe run a garden hose to a single pipe mounted to the top beam? I think I could make a system that uses my house’s water for less than $100.

You certainly could do that. Of course if you ever need to use it, you will probably ruin some of your electronics. I imagine losing your electronics is preferable to burning down you house, though. I don’t think I would trust the safety of a system like this to garden hose. I would want actual pipe.

1 Like

Probably you should just have a fire extinguisher nearby. You should never run the machine unattended, so if you think it’s going to burst into flames then shut it down. If it does burst into flames, or even smoulders seductively, attack it with the extinguisher. But, don’t be afraid to run away and call the fire brigade. We don’t want your tombstone to read “Died of smoke inhalation, but saved the Maslow!”.

4 Likes

+1 for “smoulders seductively”.

2 Likes

Please remember the #1 slogan of this forum. “Don’t be on Fire!”

Thank you

4 Likes