FreeCAD Not Letting me Pad

I have been trying to model this upright so that I can print a 1:1 template for drilling the holes to ensure that everything is aligned properly but I can’t get it to pad. I’m running this in the latest version of Ubuntu.

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.18.16093 (Git)
Build type: Unknown
Branch: master
Hash: 690774c0effe4fd7b8d2b5e2fb2b8c8d145e21ce
Python version: 2.7.12
Qt version: 4.8.7
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.0.0
Locale: English/UnitedStates (en_US)

Thank you for your help!

Upright.FCStd (11.0 KB)

Well, I did another drawing and I got it to pad, although I would love to know what I did wrong with that one other than make it more complicated than necessary. Thank you for any input!

If anyone could help me make a 1:1 PDF of this part that would be outstanding. I can make an SVG, but then when I print everything is smaller than I need it to be.
UprightSimple.FCStd (16.4 KB)
Upright.stl (56.9 KB)

2 Likes

I suspect nobody knows what you mean by pad

It’s the command that is used in FreeCAD, in Fusion and SolidWorks I believe it is extrude. Not a big deal since I redid the drawing and got it to work, just would like to know what to avoid so I don’t do it again now. Of course, having a clean drawing that isn’t overly constrained is probably the correction.

Your issue was that there were duplicate lines on the outer perimeter. I tried fixing it by selecting the sketch in the Sketcher workbench and using the Validate Sketch utility, but it seemed to have trouble updating after I removed the duplicate lines–so I gave up on it.

When you get an error about a broken face, use that same utility to check for open vertices. Usually, you’ll have lines on top of one another that need to be removed (or simply vertices that haven’t been welded together).

1 Like

Oh awesome! Thank you so much! I figured it was something like that but I’m still learning the whole CAD workflow and I’m a slow self teacher.

1 Like