GCodeClean hits v1.0.1 🎉

For Future Me To Do

GCodeClean runs on .net - not the old .net Framework that only ran on Windows, but the newer .net (formerly known as .net core) that runs on absolutely everything. .net 7 is about to go RC1 (Release Candidate 1) which means it is on the path to a final release.

For several years now ‘performance’ (by all measures) has been a 'first-class feature` for each .net release, .net 7 features an absolute tonne of performance improvements. But one that caught my eye is this one: performance improvements in .net 7 - Native AOT
(warning that’s a very very long blog that just covers some of the performance improvements)

Native AOT - means ‘Ahead of Time code generation, Native to OS and processor’. For GcodeClean this would mean having a single file, the executable itself, that’s compiled specific to a given OS (and processor) and would likely equal a drop in file size of 90%

I’m particularly keen on seeing what impact this would have for GCodeClean on Raspberry Pis.

But also, if there’s anyone wanting GCodeClean to run on Macs please let me know. With .net 7 it would be practical for me to start doing Mac specific builds again for the releases.

3 Likes