Has anyone used a drag bit on maslow4?

I just ordered on amazon a set of 3 drag bitts of different angles. I am thinking of trying out maslow4 on small plastic cheap workpieces. They are 1/4" bits that look to be between 1 and 1.5 inches of 1/4" then sprind loaded bit seems to be maybe 1/8" and 1/2 to 3/4" long. As long as tip can retrack enought it should work on maslow4. Would be great i thing if ruler could be engraved onto t track. At least for drill press table i need to build. Anyway. Has anyone thought of using such a bit?

1 Like

Martha Montgomery wrote:

I just ordered on amazon a set of 3 drag bitts of different angles. I am
thinking of trying out maslow4 on small plastic cheap workpieces. They are
1/4" bits that look to be between 1 and 1.5 inches of 1/4" then sprind loaded
bit seems to be maybe 1/8" and 1/2 to 3/4" long. As long as tip can retrack
enought it should work on maslow4. Would be great i thing if ruler could be
engraved onto t track. At least for drill press table i need to build. Anyway.
Has anyone thought of using such a bit?

I was just thinking bout that and thinking that the maslow should be good for
that, assuming the bit will fit.

can you post links to the bits that you are finding?

David Lang

I have a couple of diamond drag bits that I have used with a 3018 CNC to etch arcylic for edge lit signs and they are great–you can get super amazing details. Don’t have my Maslow setup yet but please share your findings on how the bits perform on the machine. Cheers.

1 Like

Bits will arrive in just over a week. I am not in a hurry. Bar is using my machine for the build sessions. He was so gracious to help me out. I figure most of the 1/4" shaft will fit inside thw collee on the dewalt. Understant router is only sued to hold bit. No need for vacuum either. So should require very little power. I think i need to learn oin small items at first.plastic is somewhat cheap. So good to practice on. I earlier wished to try with a marker but maslow4 does not have enough zz azis travel for marker. Thanks all you fellows for your help

1 Like

I forgot to mention, I use the 120 and 90 degree from Carbide. Here is the link.

1 Like

What i found in amazon was RDZ diamond engraver bits. I believe 60 90 and 120 degrees. Thai is what i ordered

1 Like

a video on on using a drag knife to make custom gaskets.

includes talk about options for software and a couple knife options (that look
like they would not work for the maslow due to lost travel distance)

David Lang

1 Like

Drag bit is not a drag knife. A drag bit is a bit that had diamond. The diamond does the etching. It can etch lots of different materials. It does include a spring so as to not break diamond or too much pressure on workpiece. From what I see it should work with maslow. Marker pen idea was excessive z travel was required. Could be done but would require a sled under the sled so z axis could be used. Bar has stated z axis is about 2" travel.

Martha

Yahoo Mail: Search, Organize, Conquer

Have been using RDZ diamond engraver bit on my other CNC, very little pressure needed to scratch. Rigidity needed if wanting to drag deep accurate gouges. Great engraver, but isn’t cheap, the spring with adjustable tension is nice for tuning the pressure right. Originally bought the drag bit to try out CNC’n holograms… Need really light scratches for holograms, ended up designing and printing a holder that’s rigid in XY, but very flexibly in Z. Shared my experience with RDZ bit about 420 seconds into the video, hope that helps!

1 Like

Thank you. Very informative. I am new to this 3d stuff. As lso. Mind not as good as it used to be. I am thinking I want to be able to take pictures and using software like photoVcarve to make etchings of the pictures. I hope the bit fits enough into. The ddewalt router that z axis can lift bit off the surface. Plan to use on a variety if surfaces from plexiglass, brass,copper, hardwoods. Etc. I have ideas I want to try but nothing yet that I know will wwork

Yahoo Mail: Search, Organize, Conquer

1 Like

For larger projects and softer materials you might want to experiment using a wire brush bit.

My 3 diamod drag bits arrived today. I see absolutely no reason thet will mot work in the maslow4. Just need my machine to try out. So far i am liking progeCAD program. I like the ease. At which items can be dimensioned. Full owned copy is about $300. But will own it. No monthly fees. Thinking about wanting to try with EtslCAM.