Human readable plan

Hi!
I am waiting for the march delivery of my Maslow kit. In the waiting time i wanted to cut out the sled. It looks quite simple, so no nead for cnc. Only i could not find a plan to be read by a human. Is there any drawing with measurements to build off?

1 Like

an 18" circle with a 3" hole in tbe middle

attach a router centered in the hole

attach two bricks to he lower third of the sled

when you get the kit, you will atach the ring around the router (which is why
the bricks are on the lower third, not lower half)

David Lang

3 Likes

Thanks, that is clear enough for me.

FYI there is a template for creating a temp sled in the old kit. I’m unsure how this will change in the new kit. The old one was a template to make a temporary sled to use to cut the permeant sled. I’m not sure if that is being eliminated or not in the new kit.

I created a quick sled in the shape of a stop sign by starting with a 18 inch square and lopping the corners off and sanding the edges. I may get to test this sled today. both Harbor Freight and Ikea sell cheap hole saw kits. The one form Ikea is the most economical choice if you don’t already have a hole saw kit and have an Ikea close enough to make a trip.

There are sled files in the community garden and the forum as well -

https://github.com/MaslowCNC/CommunityGarden/wiki/Community-Contributed-Files

Thank you

Bar has a page that still talks about a temporary sled (it’s now a large square
temp sled that includes the bricks)

someone needs to make a quick video showing how to trivially cut circles with a
paper/cardboard circle jig.

He’s still thinking that the sled needs to be bootstrapped

2 Likes

what’s the weight of two bricks?
i have old window lead weights (search ebay, they were used as counterweights in old windows), they are usually 4+ pounds. i was thinking they would be of less bulk.
i’m sure at some point it’s too much weight, what’s the target?

I’ve got two bricks on my sled, and with those and the router the total weight is around 26 pounds. That’s about average. It’s the total weight that’s important.

2 Likes

what’s the weight of two bricks?

4-5 pounds each

i have old window lead weights (search ebay, they were used as counterweights in old windows), they are usually 4+ pounds. i was thinking they would be of less bulk.
i’m sure at some point it’s too much weight, what’s the target?

we’re experimenting with this now, but about 10 pounds plus the router, etc.

David Lang

2 Likes

Go to Home Depot get 2 bricks ask them to weigh them, put them back. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: @dlang has you back in his answers. I’m just poking some fun.

However if I had led I’d make some wood forms and cast it in to stackable parts so i could adjust it.

Thank you

I will cut it on the bandsaw, maybe next weekend. If sombody neads pictures, i can take some.

1 Like

What is the minimum diameter size of a sled for the new ring kit? And what thickness is recommended?

@bar can correct me if I’m wrong. The "standard sled is ~18 inches ( 450 mm ) around and is cut from 3/4 plywood. The ring was designed to fit the original sled I believe so anyone could retrofit it.

People have made the sled from many different materials to try to lower the friction of the sled. I’m famous for suggesting bees wax for the bottom of the sled or any wood installation you need lubricity.

Thank you

1 Like

Thanks Bee. I was thinking of making dados from the centre and out on the backside of the sled, to allow air to get into the routed groove and make it easier for my vacuum to pull the dust without sucking the sled to the plywood. Has anyone done similar experiments?

2 Likes

Of course I would sand all edges :slight_smile:

Looking at the ring mounting template, it would just fit in a 14" circle with a little to spare.

3 Likes

I’m really curious about how this works. I like the idea!

This has me thinking of Air Hockey.

I have one of these and this design would allow a very thin cushion of air to float the sled.

We should investigate this.

Thank you

1 Like

I work as a cabinetmaker at this method is used on massive machines to make it easier to move materials around. I experienced it on this saw: http://peterthuesen.dk/maskinsnedker/opskaering-af-trae.aspx

I was actually thinking of rerouting the exhaust air from my vacuum to make a somewhat closed system. But I have no idea if it will work.

Cheers Rasmus

1 Like

Does the puck work as intended ?

I have set and on a surface like a floor - yes. Very well. I bought it to play with my Dog but didn’t like the sound.

Thank you