Build type: Release
Branch: (HEAD detached at 0.18.4)
Hash: 980bf9060e28555fecd9e3462f68ca74007b70f8
Python version: 3.6.7
Qt version: 5.6.2
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: English/UnitedStates (en_US)

I posted a while ago regarding interior path cuts, someone graciously helped me out with the file, but I was left not understanding how to do it for myself, I’m attaching the file we would be cutting, ideally I’d be left understanding how to set up these external and interior cuts in the future. I’ve read through the wiki but everything I tried never worked correctly. I’ll also attach the file that the user made for me (I’m having trouble finding the old post, have a feeling I accidentally have two accounts). I was taught making a file from a .svg since they are more intricate shapes - I’m going to give inkscape a try but for now just need to know the correct solution for setting up an external cut followed by interior cut outs (that go all the way through the material and are not being milled) the old post said this was possible in the newer version of freecad, simply at a loss here, just need the step by steps if anyone can help!

yes_cutoutcorrectpockets_herbk is the file made for me, it worked perfectly for what I needed,

the file I now need to figure out how to make (and ideally learn for ever) is the sunglasses, i need to router out the outline of the sunglasses from .25" acrylic, and then route out the eyeglass holes. I know how to just out the outline of the sunglasses, but everything I try to do (even in 0.19 path usage) just doesn’t work for me. Any help would be amazing! I’m not sure if i’m just missing something very basic. In freecad 0.18, I import the .svg > scale > move > create body > create pad> go to path workbench and create a job, importing my information and creating a contour cut, but not sure with the 0.19 what I need to do in order to get the inside cuts to work.

Thanks in advance!

sunglasses_attempt_3_fc.FCStd (79.6 KB)

yes_cutoutcorrectpockets_herbk.FCStd (338.4 KB)

1 Like

Greetings!

The path would be for a new file:

• create a body
  • go to part design workbench
  • create a sketch on the X/Y plane with sunglasses outline (i always centre on x0/y0, makes it easier to draw one half and then mirror the other half for symmetric parts. Maslow also has x0/y0 in the centre of the sheet. You can still cut somewhere else my moving the home in the software)
  • pad the sketch by the thickens of the material thickness you will be cutting (i reverse the pad, so my z0 is on-top of the material and i cut into -z. I also add 0.5 mm as i usually cut into my spoil-board to ensure the parts are cut though, balancing some ‘waved’ sheet.)
  • click the top face of padded outline and create a new sketch. The sketch should should be mapped to the top face of the padded outline if done correctly.
  • draw the inside (cut-out) on that sketch.
  • use the pocket operation to cut out the material (you can choose ‘through all’ or set the same thickness as set for the pad.
  • now you can setup a job, set the tool and the first operation (inside). I use ‘path by edges’ by choosing the all top edges on the inside and ‘profile edges’ and select ‘cut-side’ inside
  • now create a job for the outside by selecting all the top outside edges, ‘profile edges’ and select ‘cut-side’ outside
  • of course set all the other needed parameters like step-down and so for both jobs as well

Hope this helps a bit, wish i could do a video, but tonight is a little short.
Let me know if you need more info

Kind regards, Gero

Edit: For some reason it will not let me cut the inside by selecting ‘Profile based on face’ and selecting the top. Looks like a bug, but in FreeCad there are several ways to do the same thing, so i’ve chosen profile on edges for the inside and profile on face for the outside to save some time.
Don’t forget to add your tabs, so the parts don’t fall out.

Good suggestions above. FreeCad is cool, but sometimes you have to hump it into submission.

2 Likes