Interstitial Firmware Releases

There is a setting in the FluidNC tab for which mode…?

I’m embarrassed to say that I can’t find it, but I’m fairly certain that it does not do what we want it to do.

I am still working on installing the tools to build the firmware…but it’s not going great. The installer keeps crashing :confused:

Do we have an updated firmware to try on the smaller areas for configuration testing…??

1 Like

Yes, the latest firmware should be quite a bit better for testing on small areas. There is now more control over the number of points in the test pattern and where they are located (separate controls for X and Y).

For trying something new like that I’d start out with a small number of points close to the center of the work area then try more and closer to the edges

2 Likes

you should not need new firmware, just chagne the size and offsets for your
frame. (in the yaml file or through the GUI)

David Lang

Adds a heartbeat so that if the wifi connection to the machine is lost we will get a warning notification.

firmware.bin (1.6 MB)
index.html.gz (153.9 KB)
maslow.yaml (2.0 KB)

2 Likes

Here is 0.66.1 which disables the over current alarm during the calibration process. After weeks of trying to track this down properly it finally occurred to me that I could “fix” it by just turning that alarm off during the calibration process.

It’s not the most elegant solution, but it will keep things moving and I don’t think that alarm is actually doing us much good during the calibration process. Will keep working on a more correct solution.

index.html.gz (153.8 KB)
maslow.yaml (3.2 KB)
firmware.bin (1.6 MB)

1 Like

Here is 0.66.2 which synchronizes the two belts which are pulling during the calibration process ensuring that they arrive at the destination at the same time. This helps keep them under tension the whole time making for a smoother and hopefully more accurate calibration process.

Since this is a pretty significant change to how the internal workings of the calibration process work I would very much appreciate anyone who is willing to try it out and give feedback before it gets fully released next Wednesday.

index.html.gz (153.9 KB)
maslow.yaml (3.2 KB)
firmware.bin (1.6 MB)

Here is 0.66.3 which adds a proper warning to prevent take slack or calibration from running until all of the belts have been fully extended. This should give us more insight into the issue of the machine not moving (because it thinks that the belts are not fully extended).

index.html.gz (153.9 KB)
maslow.yaml (3.2 KB)
firmware.bin (1.6 MB)

1 Like

@bar Do these 66.x releases stack up or address individual issues? Like if I use 0.66.3 does it incorporate the fixes from 0.1 & 0.2?

1 Like

Good question! They stack up, so 66.3 contains everything in 66.2 plus the new fixes

Here is 0.66.4 which improves error message reporting when the machine enters the error state (red blinking light). The error message is now repeated with each blink so that it’s clear why the machine is upset.

index.html.gz (153.9 KB)
maslow.yaml (3.2 KB)
firmware.bin (1.6 MB)

Here is 0.66.5 which improves how the take slack function works and fixes the error where if you press Take Slack and then immediately run a gcode file the machine would go into safe mode.

Take Slack will now take a measurement and check it against the expected values from calibration and report if there is an issue.

It also adds a spectacular “Save” button to the configuration options (thanks to @ronlawrence3) which means you no-longer need to open the maslow.yaml file ever again!

index.html.gz (154.0 KB)
maslow.yaml (3.2 KB)
firmware.bin (1.6 MB)

3 Likes

Reminder that the instructions need to be changed to reflect this new capability

(and longer term, possibly a more focused/friendly set of screens to have people
enter just the numbers they can know at a particular step in the calibration
process)

David Lang

1 Like

Should we see a version message (e.g. 66.5) or just Version 66 when we load these?

1 Like

Just 66 I think

1 Like

Here is 0.66.6 (:astonished:) which adds a self test feature for detecting the presence of the magnets (IE are the magnets on the correct side) and also makes it so that when you retract the belts the names of the belts are printed instead of the numbers.

index.html.gz (154.0 KB)
maslow.yaml (3.2 KB)
firmware.bin (1.6 MB)

3 Likes

note I made a typo/copy-paste error on one of the tooltips, but I have a PR out for it.

1 Like

Great! Question : Is it necessary to update (and also edit) yaml and index file as well when you update firmware? (is this something I should know?)

for the yaml file – only if someone updated it with new “keys”, although honestly you can now edit these values on the “fluidNC” tab under “config items” and set / save values there and not have to edit it at all ever.

I’d recommend always doing the firmware and uploading the index.html.gz file.

2 Likes