Kickstarter Update for Nov 22 is posted

This week it’s just a video:

Let me know if you have any questions or thoughts!

3 Likes

One question, is there another calibration for “floor” mounted options? I dont understnad how the calibration shown would work without some gravity force oposing the two active belts…

1 Like

as it tighens all 4 belts, it doesn’t actually rely on gravity to move it to
position.

I know it looks like it would at first glance, but work through what would
happen if it’s on a flat surface and it lets out more to the ‘top left’ belt

David Lang

@dlang, I think @bar says two belts are used to move through a grid during calibration, and these two are on the upper hemisphere of the sled in the video, like the existing chain design.

So… i dont see how this works if the machine is rotated on its z axis to be perpendicular to gravity

1 Like

Is that Maslow 4 on a 15° plain or completely vertical ? It looks to be the latter on that calibration example. Though you really can’t detect the angle because the focus of the camera is strait on.

imagine the machine flat, the two ‘lower’ belts are loose, the machine loosens
the two ‘top’ belts (which would lower it under gravity, but does nothing with
it flat), then it tightens the two lower belts, as it tighens them, the sled
will move towards the belt being tightened until the belts preventing it from
moving towards the belt being tightened are tight.

the movement just happens a little later in the process, but it’s the same
process.

David Lang

3 Likes

Ah Makes sense. The friction is low enough to not trigger the taught belt threshold. Cheers for pointing that out :+1:

1 Like

@dlang is right that we can use any two belt to pull the sled around, not just the top two so we can move on the horizontal plane too. That’s a good example of the kind of things that we are cleaning up though because we probably want to have a toggle switch in the calibration to switch between upright mode and horizontal mode so we can tweak how things work a bit.

You are right, it’s pretty darn close to vertical. I probably wouldn’t want to cut with it this steep (it’s just leaning against the wall so the angle isn’t controlled), I just scooted it out of the way there. The amount of angle needed isn’t a hard and fast rule where it must be X angle or it won’t work at all…just that as it gets closer to vertical the cut quality goes down so for messing around and testing things the angle isn’t too critical. If I were to cut something I would probably scoot the base out a little bit to give it some angle.

1 Like

Then I wasn’t seeing things.Looks like my depth perception is pretty good. Thanks for your reply.

1 Like