Looking for dimensions to build the current "default frame" but for half the width. (4x4 workspace, Max 6x6x2 floorspace)

Hi, so i have finally got a place to set up my maslow but i cant set it up to its full length of 10ft, but i can get 6ft. (4x4 workspace)

Has anyone built a half sized maslow before? Im looking for dimensions and possibly any other things i may have to readjust for it down the line.

For the dimensions i was thinking of any of the lengthy horizontal beams i would just reduce to 6ft.
If anyone already has some adjusted dimensions id appreciate it as it will help me when purchasing materials.

Thank you for your time.

3 Likes

I doubt you will find someone with the exact measurements you need.
My suggestion would be to take the standard frame and scale all dimensions down till the ‘top beam motor distance with sprockets and space to put on the chains’ is maxed out with your longest wall.
I don’t know what the usable cutting area will be, but think it will be more rectangular (landscape) than square.
What is the height (ceiling) usable?

If you’d like to dig deeper here are 2 links I found:
Frame Geometry Question
Is it true that there is an optimum ratio between width and hight of the frame? - #49 by Gero

Regards, Gero

Edit: Feel free to keep asking. I found this the most helpful Forum ever.

Edit2: I tried as good as it goes with beer but the Friends here will correct me. Scaled my ~ 11.5 top frame to ~6ft and got a ‘sheet’ of ~ 4.2 x 2.1.
Now take of the ‘issue zones like low corners, top middle and a bit of top corners’ and reduce by the amount you need for accuracy depending on what you want to make.
You could be better off with a horizontal machine. Will not name them, because I don’t get money from them, but PM I might.

3 Likes

take a look at the spreadsheet we have at

that will allow you to punch in the dimensions of the machine you propose (and
it’s work area) and see what the resulting min/max forces end up being.

fiddle with the numbers until you have force numbers what are not worse than the
stock machine, and you will have something that should work about the same.

David Lang

2 Likes