Can I build a smaller frame to fit my planned applications?

So I just got my Maslow a couple of days ago, and surprise, surprise, I’ve got some questions. First, if I build everything to Maslow’s specs, do I have to use a full 4’X8’ sheet of material, or can I use smaller dimensions? And second, I’m planning on doing nothing bigger than 2’X4’ projects. Can I make a frame to fit that application, or is it going to cause more troubles than I want want to get into? Keeping in mind I am a newbie and know next to nothing about running this unit.

yes and yes, there are other topics talking about building small frames, read through them and ask questions about what you don’t understand

Will do. Thanks for the input.

this is best thread on smaller frame IMHO.

So if I understand that thread correctly he built the standard frame accept in 4x4 size and then left the top beam the standard 10’ Length?

Makes since because with the top beam being the same length it wouldn’t effect the calibration and with the standard beam I could still cut a 4x8 sheet if I really needed too.

To your knowledge, does anything else have to be different in order to achieve the 4x4 frame?

Awesome News! I still have my large frame at my other property that I can take apart to be repurposed for this 4x4 frame.

thanks very much.

yes, you can leave the top beam at 10’ and just cut in a 4x4 section, you can
also shorten the top beam to 8’ or so and get really good results for a 4x4 area
(but at the cost of not being able to do an 8’ long area, you should be ble to
do 6’)

the calibration is sensitive enough that even an inch or so difference will need
a very different calibration, so the calibration will be needed for the new
machine no matter what.

David Lang

Thanks for all your help, when you say to recalibrate you just mean the standard calibration correct? In other words if I go with an 8’ top beam, I just redo the calibration and it should recognize the shorter beam and work perfectly? I don’t ever see needing to cut anything that large for my uses so I don’t think having only the 6’ workpiece limitation is a problem.

yes, standard calibration

David Lang

You can increase the weight on sled and raise the bar higher up for better results if only doing 4x4
I’d suggest 30” high motor bar and sled weight of 28 lbs
This is because one no longer has to be concerned with corner cutting performance on a huge 4x8 sheet. The new corners are only 4x4

Yes I plan on making the frame 5x4 and and leaving the top beam the same 10” length. Are you saying 30” from the ground? How far should the top beam be from the top of the workpiece? I read somewhere I think 2 ft?

by default the top beam was ~15" from the top of the workpiece, if you can raise
it to 24-30" that is much better for the top center

David Lang

the main take away with a 4x4 work area is you can make your sled much heavier and raise the top bar from the top edge of your plywood a lot more
for example 40" raise and 30 lbs sled yield pretty good numbers:

most people dont’ have ceilings taller than 8’ so raise it as high as you can and add more weight and you should get a very good machine. if the maslow was sold as a 4x4 machine you will hear a lot less complaints and have a more satsified group of people IMHO. marketing it as a 4x8 machine is a stretch.