Lost Connection Middle of Cut

The ‘set chain length - Manual ‘ is best done along with the 12 o’clock step from the ‘…Automatic’ sequence. Then the Manual one just removes the need for watching and managing the chains while they extend. I’m an impatient guy :smile:

When you feed the chain on automatic chain calibration does any of your teeth end back up at 12?
Mine is about 5 or 10 degrees off of 12, that’s why I don’t see how the manual one would put it back on the same cut

*Edit: I’m not sure that i am explaining this right
After automatic chain calibration:

Manual calibration: Place marked chain link on 12 position tooth

If we are using the manual chain calibration, isn’t that going to be off since the last cuts were actually 5 degrees past 12?

It was written on the assumption that the sprocket would end up with a tooth at
12 (that’s why the odd 1650 figure)

if you don’t have the teeth in the same orientation when you re-position the
marked link, you will be off.

1 Like

Throwing another option for “lost connection” out there, though, it is probably a long shot. Assuming a Windows machine is being used.

Buried deep in the dungeons of the Advanced Power Plan Settings in Windows there is a setting for “USB selective suspend”… probably be a best practice to disable that… just in case Windows thinks you’re done with that USB port and decides to disable it.

More on what this setting actually does.

1 Like

For sure3, that would be a ‘gotcha’ just lurking in wait!

For the same cut I lost the connection about 3 minutes in, 5 minutes in then again at like 30 seconds in. Out of desperation I switched to an older 6’ USB cable (no ferrites) and it ran through the whole cut. Coincidence? Time will tell. Seems like getting a shorter/different USB cable works for now.

I ordered a 20’ double ferrite USB cable (couldn’t find a shorter one with a double ferrite and didn’t know if manually installing ferrites to a random cable had the same effect). I’ll let ya know how it works.

1 Like

Ferrite on USB is good idea. Power settings a must. Moving USB away from shop vac power cord fixed issue for me few months ago. Today I lost USB twice in an hour. Realized I recently installed new Thingiverse Maslow case that has holes for heat sinks to stick out. Today is 93 in Atlanta and running Maslow in a hot shop. Pointed a fan towards everything and issue went away so I could finish cut :wink: Will have to add a small fan to this case in future. Jealous of air conditioned Maslow.

3 Likes

Cool! How much do your counter weights weigh? @dlang was looking for that information. In the near future there will be a option for a Beefier Shield with better cooling options. Thank you for the information.

I too have had this USB connection error even cutting the sled. I did overcome it and made a “hopefully” helpful video of the steps I did. Here it is on YouTube, Jon

3 Likes

Thank you for sharing this! Full of valuable information.

Edit (better late then never): Welcome Maslovian!

1 Like