Maslow 4 Belt ruined. Got jammed in the gears

Hi. My Maslow 4 got the belt so stuck that it’s ruined. If you could send me a source for a replacement belt that would be great.

Thanks,
Rich

1 Like

That can happen, especially when you are first getting used to the machine. DM your address to @anna and we’ll send you some spares.

The same thing just happened to me. It is still jammed I don’t know if I need to disassemble or I can run it in the opposite direction. It seems like the belts are too long and it slipped up over the drive gear. I read in other posts that they have shortened their belts by several feet.

Is there a way in the software to control one belt at a time for retract and extend? I tried to unplug the other motors but that causes a fault and didn’t work.

Unfortunately when that happens the belt generally gets pretty mangled and needs to be replaced. Email your address to Anna@maslowcnc.com and we’ll send you some replacements right away.

Thanks and I will do that. Is there an issue with un-superglueing the existing belt? Also is there any control over the individual motors for retract or extend?

I will email right away, thanks.

1 Like

We will send you belts and spools so you don’t have to unglue them. Ungluing never goes smoothly.

There isn’t an option to individually control a motor right now. We could add it, but I think it’s likely to make things worse not better once things get really jammed up (ie you could end up with a stuck belt and a fried motor controller)

Yes, I think having the current limit would still be a good idea for individual control but it would allow me to tend to each belt as it was getting spooled to more closely watch for potential issues. Especially for getting used to the machine and having potential loose spools after a fresh build.

EDIT: Yes, I don’t know if it would help once my belt is already jammed but it might help prevent that at all as stated above.

1 Like

Which step did it get jammed during? Maybe we can improve that experience

I think it was a retract all. Once I take that spool out I can see which way it was jammed and report back.

1 Like

@bar trying to keep all the belts straight and untangled when they are all
moving can be fairly hard. If you could extend/retract a single arm, I suspect
that there would be fewer cases of the belts getting tangled (and then into the
gears)

David Lang

4 Likes

Possible solution might be in the software. Encoder should detect when there is tension on retraction and throw an error. Wouldn’t be too sure if damage has already been done at that point when tension is detected.

it’s a combination of design flaw and software flaw. One of the reasons i redesigned my maslow 4 after i got it to fix a bunch of problems i found in the machine. There are a bunch, but i’m guessing this late in the game it’s really expensive to change injection molds at the last moment.

the encoder measures position, but not tension. tension is measured by how much
current is being applied to the motors with no movement taking place.

David Lang

2 Likes

I started a topic thread to list and discuss such suggestions, please post
there. I agree it’s too late to fix things now, but better to get suggestions
out early so that when they need to do the next batch of molds, they know that
there should be changes.

David Lang

5 Likes

Would you be willing to share the redesign here on the forum?
Thanks,

Arjen

1 Like

it’s a combination of design flaw and software flaw. One of the reasons i redesigned my maslow 4 after i got it to fix a bunch of problems i found in the machine. There are a bunch, but i’m guessing this late in the game it’s really expensive to change injection molds at the last moment.

Have you documented this issues anywhere for everyone else?

@bar - the belt mangling issue during calibration seems to be a frequent problem. I just had my upper right belt destroy itself in the gears too. I didn’t actually see it occur, just saw the aftermath, but I’m sure it was caused by too much slack on the belt during calibration and the belt rode up on the gears and was crushed into them. I’ll email Anna for a replacement belt. I think fixing the slack issues during calibration is going to be critical to getting everyone working without having to send out a lot of replacement belts.

1 Like

I agree. I think that we will want to tweak the calibration process and also maybe redesign that little guard which is supposed to keep the belt out of the gears.

i’m keeping a private document. So possibly in the future i’ll release the machine designs with all of this stuff fixed. Wonder what it’s all worth…hmmm

imo, there are so many design changes that need to be done that it would pretty much be an entirely new machine. i might partner with a company that’s already setup for manufacturing to help me get the machine to market. I’m open to suggestions.
in my humble opinion, DIY kits are so 2015. I think most people just want to use these machines to create stuff.