Maslow Create - Alpha Release 🎉

I have no experiance with jscad, there’s a lot more stuff out there that
supports scan than the javafied version. jscad is interesting as a possible
source of code, but it ould need to be adapted to standard scad format.

David Lang

The big push this week in that project is getting the documentation written so it exists but since it’s a work in progress I don’t think there are any public links to it yet. You can check out the in progress version here:

https://jsxcad.js.org/app/UserGuide.html

Any feedback on what is confusing or how it could be improved would be much appreciated. That fresh perspective of reading documentation for the first time is hard to get back.

3 Likes

Thanks, that should help for a start. I’ll feedback on anything that catches my attention.

2 Likes

I have updated the version of Maslow Create on www.MaslowCreate.org with a lot of bug fixes. I am still finding a lot of bugs pretty much any time I do anything and expect a lot more fixes going forwards.

Here are the changes since the last update:

7 Likes

I’ve made a bunch more bug fixes most of which have to do with increasing the speed at which projects load. JSxCAD now run much faster also (not my work) so today’s update is a big performance increase which translates to more complex models loading faster.

Another thing I have been working on is the behavior for sharing projects. Check out https://maslowcreate.org/run/?182022403 to see an example in practice. Every project automatically comes with a sharing link like that. Change the values for the table height or wood thickness over on the left side and the model updates.

Now I just need to get a “Download Gocde” button going over there on the left side so you can easily take the project and cut it out.

8 Likes

@bar, tomorrow will be two months since the Maslow Create alpha release. How are things going?

EDIT: Oh! Just saw your reply on the other topic we were just on! :smile:

Things are going, but more slowly than I would like ideally. The full log of what has changed is available here: Pulse · MaslowCNC/Maslow-Create · GitHub

I’ve also gotten really excited about working on an esp32 based firmware for a four motor machine so that’s been taking up some of my time.

In the last week I’ve mostly been working on boring stuff like documentation. All of the code is now documented and up to date documentation is automatically generated at Home | canvas-template which should make it easier for others to understand the code and contribute.

A couple new features this week are that the grid under the part now scales automatically as you zoom in and out, and that automatic Bill of Materials and README generation are now working so a project like this Maslow Create now has a Bill Of Materials and a README button which will take you to documentations for the project.

JSXCAD has seen some HUGE performance increases in the last few weeks so projects load much faster, but in the process we broke STL generation so actually exporting a project into a usable format is not working :cry:

I’ve agreed to teach a class on how it works to design and cut some new furniture for a local makerspace at the beginning of August so I’ve got a hard deadline to get everything playing nice and exporting Gcode.

5 Likes

I don’t get anything close to what you are displaying when I follow the link.https://maslowcreate.org/run/?182022403 I got maslowcreate to work finally in chrome, and am playing with trying to recreate the pen holder. So far w/out reading any help docs, I like it better then freecad which I can’t even figure out how to make a circle in that program. No less create the parts needed for the pen holder.

I’m sorry, I broke that link recently but I am working on getting it fixed again in the next couple days. Basically making a CAD/CAM program is turning out to be harder than I initially guessed. I’m making a lot of progress, but it’s all still VERY alpha and in flux.

Help docs and a walk through for creating a design from beginning to end are on the way as soon as everything stops changing so quickly. Right now features appear and disappear and break every few days which would make the help docs out of date right away.

1 Like

No problem, you’d be surprised how often the software tools at my work break, and people get paid to keep them running. :slight_smile: I do find the tool very easy to use and like I said so far I seem to be able to recreate the basic pen holder w/o too much trouble and this is from a CNC newb. I think it is great. Is there a specific web browser you believe it would work best with?

Thanks for understanding! :heart:

I think the table link should be working now.

Let me know if it is still not working?

I would absolutely love feedback about what you like and don’t like. I test in Firefox and Chrome usually so those should be working always, but the goal is to to support every browser so if you find something broken tell me and I will work on fixing it ASAP.

The roadmap right now is to get bent parts working for sheetmetal or living hinge type things…then to work on laying parts out on a sheet and generating gcode automatically.

The goal is that a link like that table will come with a “download gcode” button so you can enter parameters like the thickness of the wood and then click one button to be ready to cut.

There aren’t any help docs yet (other than the very technical https://maslowcreate.org/documentation), but I am here to answer questions!

Checked it works as expected.

Internet Explorer doesn’t seem to work, but have only tried on work computer.

I managed to create the penholder solely using maslowcreate saving as svg using molecule then adding routes in makercam.

As a newbie my biggest issue is how to take 3D plans and get the flat layout needed to actually build something. Which is why I created pen holder from scratch.

Input molecule is hard to see the output connection to click to drag to connect. I don’t know why but I usually have to click a molecule a couple times before the values show up allowing me to change them. Kind of intermittent. Maybe I am not waiting long enough. Also input molecule never allows to change when on far left. Drag to center and it works.

I think you are spot on there. That’s the next big thing on the road map. I want to make it so that you can take the 3D drawing and connect it to a “layout” atom which will lay the parts out optimally on a sheet, then you can connect that to a “gcode” atom to generate ready to cut gcode.

The goal is to make it easy for the first person who comes along to do it, and then REALLY easy for the next person who comes along and wants to make the same project, but with a different wood thickness or bit size

Thanks for the tips on these. I’ve seen some weird behavior there as well. I’ll look into what’s going on

This software looks amazing. Is it already complete enough to create rel. simpel objects for cut on the maslow? I looked at the github page and software development seemed to have mostly stopped?

Can it already generate gcode?

Thank you! :grinning:

Development is very much still happening. I try to work on it pretty much every day in some form…there is just so much to be done!

Things are certainly working enough to design simple projects. Svg exporting is pretty stable, gcode hasn’t been done yet but will be done soon-sh

2 Likes

are you to the point that you could output a 3d model that kiri:moto could then
do the CAM on?

I like having everything in one tool, but comparison/competition is good so
having the ability to mix/match CAD/CAM options is good.

David Lang

Yes, absolutely. STL exporting is working too.

1 Like

Hi,

I did an install from the git repo and got warning but no errors. If i start the software i get a login request but nothing happens when i press the button. See image and console errors below:

Unkown category for SetEventRecordingEnabled.

Firefox Monitor: malformed breach entry. Site: {"Name":"PDL","Domain":"","schema":1579730124328,"PwnCount":622161052,"AddedDate":"2019-11-22T20:13:04Z","BreachDate":"2019-10-16","DataClasses":["Email addresses","Employers","Geographic locations","Job titles","Names","Phone numbers","Social media profiles"],"id":"17c60516-6e49-4408-bc82-8f55ef76e47f","last_modified":1580917139624,"_status":"synced"} [FirefoxMonitor.jsm:187](moz-extension://a3ddb254-a0ec-4b81-ad0c-8d257fb3a441/privileged/FirefoxMonitor.jsm)

Ping failure with error: TypeError: NetworkError when attempting to fetch resource.

[PingCentre.jsm:185](resource:///modules/PingCentre.jsm)

Error: Cannot find module './molecules/regularpolygon.js' [flowDraw.bundle.js:173835:87](http://localhost:3000/js/flowDraw.bundle.js)

Key event not available on some keyboard layouts: key=“r” modifiers=“accel,alt” id=“key_toggleReaderMode” [browser.xul](chrome://browser/content/browser.xul)

Key event not available on some keyboard layouts: key=“i” modifiers=“accel,alt,shift” id=“key_browserToolbox” [browser.xul](chrome://browser/content/browser.xul)

1585809251439 app.normandy.recipe-runner WARN Could not fetch implementation for branched-addon-study: TypeError: url is null

1585809251440 app.normandy.recipe-runner WARN Could not fetch implementation for multi-preference-experiment: TypeError: url is null

1585809251440 app.normandy.recipe-runner WARN Could not fetch implementation for addon-rollout: TypeError: url is null

1585809251440 app.normandy.recipe-runner WARN Could not fetch implementation for addon-rollback: TypeError: url is null

1585809496578 addons.repository ERROR Error in addon metadata check: GET https://services.addons.mozilla.org/api/v3/addons/compat-override/?guid=langpack-en-ZA%40firefox.mozilla.org%2Clangpack-en-CA%40firefox.mozilla.org%2Clangpack-en-GB%40firefox.mozilla.org%2Cdefault-theme%40mozilla.org%2Cfirefox-compact-light%40mozilla.org%2Cfirefox-compact-dark%40mozilla.org&lang=en-US failed [Log.jsm:679](resource://gre/modules/Log.jsm)

update.locale file doesn't exist in either the application or GRE directories

[UpdateUtils.jsm:138](resource://gre/modules/UpdateUtils.jsm)

1585809496594 addons.productaddons WARN Failed downloading XML, status: 0, reason: error

1585809496596 addons.productaddons WARN Failed downloading XML, status: 0, reason: error

1585809496605 addons.productaddons WARN Failed downloading via XHR, status: 0, reason: error

1585809496605 addons.xpi ERROR Failed to download system add-on gmp-gmpopenh264: Error: Failed downloading via XHR, status: 0, reason: error(resource://gre/modules/addons/ProductAddonChecker.jsm:311:16) JS Stack trace: fail@ProductAddonChecker.jsm:311:16 [Log.jsm:679](resource://gre/modules/Log.jsm)

1585809496606 addons.productaddons WARN Failed downloading via XHR, status: 0, reason: error

1585809496606 addons.xpi ERROR Failed to download system add-on gmp-widevinecdm: Error: Failed downloading via XHR, status: 0, reason: error(resource://gre/modules/addons/ProductAddonChecker.jsm:311:16) JS Stack trace: fail@ProductAddonChecker.jsm:311:16 [Log.jsm:679](resource://gre/modules/Log.jsm)

1585809496606 addons.manager WARN Failed to update system addons: Error: Rejecting updated system add-on set that either could not be downloaded or contained unusable add-ons.(resource://gre/modules/addons/XPIInstall.jsm:3460:13) JS Stack trace: updateSystemAddons@XPIInstall.jsm:3460:13

NS_ERROR_FAILURE: Component returned failure code: 0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE) [nsIInterfaceRequestor.getInterface]

[network-response-listener.js:73](resource://devtools/server/actors/network-monitor/network-response-listener.js)

1585809613732 addons.xpi-utils WARN Add-on langpack-en-ZA@firefox.mozilla.org is not compatible with application version.

1585809613733 addons.xpi-utils WARN Add-on langpack-en-CA@firefox.mozilla.org is not compatible with application version.

1585809613734 addons.xpi-utils WARN Add-on langpack-en-GB@firefox.mozilla.org is not compatible with application version.

1585809613741 addons.xpi-utils WARN Add-on langpack-en-ZA@firefox.mozilla.org is not compatible with application version.

1585809613741 addons.xpi-utils WARN Add-on langpack-en-CA@firefox.mozilla.org is not compatible with application version.

1585809613741 addons.xpi-utils WARN Add-on langpack-en-GB@firefox.mozilla.org is not compatible with application version.

Error: Cannot find module './molecules/regularpolygon.js' [flowDraw.bundle.js:173835:87](http://localhost:3000/js/flowDraw.bundle.js)

1585809729449 addons.xpi-utils WARN Add-on langpack-en-ZA@firefox.mozilla.org is not compatible with application version.

1585809729450 addons.xpi-utils WARN Add-on langpack-en-CA@firefox.mozilla.org is not compatible with application version.

1585809729451 addons.xpi-utils WARN Add-on langpack-en-GB@firefox.mozilla.org is not compatible with application version.

Ah interesting. Was this through launching it using npm start in the home directory?

If you just want to model things and not do software development work there is an easier way. You can simply go to www.maslowcreate.org to access the hosted version :grin:

Also, for anyone else who is following along I’ve not got one link project sharing working with decomposing a project into its flat components which are laid out (not optimally yet) on a sheet which can be downloaded as a .svg file.

Check out the interactive version here (adjust the numbers on the left): https://maslowcreate.org/run/?182022403

It looks like this once it loads:

4 Likes