Maslow4 Kickstarter link

Just in case the link gets buried in the other threads that I posted it in, here is a link to the Kickstarter:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/maslow4/maslow4-affordable-compact-large-format-cnc-router

:crossed_fingers:

7 Likes

:tada:Done!!:tada:

2 Likes

aaaaaaaaaand, I’ve backed you Bud !!

2 Likes

Thanks! I wish I could like all these messages more than once :grinning:

1 Like

Pledged!! Now to make sure I can keep enough in my “discretionary” funds for when it goes though and is charged! HAHAHAHAHA!!!

1 Like

Pledged.

Bar, we need instructions on how to get started building that sweet frame for it!!

1 Like

Oh, and never let it be said that my procrastination on buying an M2 never yielded positive results.

And my wife’s gonna be upset that I bought another toy. again.

How does this version do in making small circles in plywood? Like for making pinball playfields and stuff? The M1 didn’t do so good with small circles. It always made like little teardrop shapes, left little indents, and stuff instead of circles. That is until the 3D printed stuff broke and it’s sat in my garage for 2.5 years. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I will absolutely put together some instructions for frame construction, but I don’t think my design is the best. The Unistrut is a little bit to flexable

It does small circles no problem. The extra belts prevent any sway that is I think the cause of the teardrop shape that you are talking about. I’ll see if I can get a video of cutting some for you.

See the picture. The ones on the right are what the M1 spit out. The ones on the left I used a forstner bit to round out a bit. This is the backbox on the machine I built/am building.

Here’s the playlist if you feel like listening to me ramble incoherently forever. All in all it worked great. Just a few issues with the CAM file and some of the smaller details like this.

2 Likes

Dang. I was number 2 the first time around but only 186 this time, with 5 more as soon as I hit refresh.

Time for some stretch goals :slight_smile:

3 Likes

The biggest difference that I notice when watching this is how much faster Maslow4 is, especially the z axis :grinning: . I think that the marks that you are seeing there are from wiggle in the z-axis as the router raises and lowers, and that should be significantly improved, but you will probably still have a slight mark where the bit raises and lowers although it’s barely visible

if you can tell us the force that is applied by the motors, we can start
tinkering with various designs.

I’d also love to have you cut a simple grid across a 4x8 sheet so we can see
what sort of distortion there is.

David Lang

1 Like

I’ve been playing around with the amount of force it’s possible to set it from pulling not that hard to pulling really hard and I’m not quite sure where the sweet spot is. We don’t want to make it work harder than necessary, but we also want the best accuracy.

I was hoping to have this done before the Kickstarter launched. There will absolutely be an update on the current accuracy of the calibration process before the kickstarter finishes.

1 Like

Its been what, three hours? and you are already at 3/4 of your goal.

2 Likes

I know! It’s wild. It’s great that we aren’t going to have to put as much energy into marketing and we can put all that energy into delivering

1 Like

Backed.

Do you know how you’ll ship to Canada? Just wondering if I should be planning for UPS to slam me with brokerage fees.

I don’t know yet, but I’m open to suggestions if there is a way that’s better for you

I’ve been playing around with the amount of force it’s possible to set it from pulling not that hard to pulling really hard and I’m not quite sure where the sweet spot is. We don’t want to make it work harder than necessary, but we also want the best accuracy.

to start with, we can work with worst-case figures, what is the max force the
motors can apply?

the sensor can measure the belt to 1/100mm, what is the motor resolution (i.e.
if you were to use a standard stepper with 200 positions and a 20mm gear, the
motor accuracy would limit you to 0,3mm. I’m sure that with the planatary
gearbox on the motor you have much higher motor resolution, just trying to
understand how high)

it is worth noting in the FAQ that usable Z travel depends on the bit stickout,
some of the travel may be used up just getting the bit down to the wood (also a
good argument for increasing the amount of travel, a friend recently used a 6"
long bit to carve up 4x4 material for wheel chocks for a project)

what is the max belt length that the mechanism will support? (and what is the
max the included belt will be able to extend, you say it’s enough for more than
a 4x8 with 2 ft spacing, so that’s 6x10 or a little under 12’ worth of belt)

I was hoping to have this done before the Kickstarter launched. There will absolutely be an update on the current accuracy of the calibration process before the kickstarter finishes.

it’s not just the current accuracy, but also to see what the error pattern is
(is it curves around the middle like the original, or something else given that
the additional belts make it overcontrained)

David Lang

Congratulations, Bar and Roman. We’ve reached the Kickstarter goal, in just over 3 hours.

4 Likes

Nice work, guys!!!

2 Likes