Maslow4 with laser unit

Bar,
I know you consider laser as unsafe on maslow 4. But with some thought, i seems it might be ideal. With vacuum port to vent fumes and a cover over the sled, reflected light would not be a problem. It would either need ti replace router ot have another hole with an offset if it would work that way. Wondering if there are other concerns i have not thought about?

1 Like

It’s not so much that I think it’s like crazy unsafe or anything. I’m sure that there is a great way to do it safely and I’m excited for someone to do it. For me it’s more that I have a LOT on my plate at the moment and I think that doing laser stuff too and giving it the focus (pun intended) that it needs to be done safely is just more than I can take on in the foreseeable future.

I think it’s a fantastic idea that someone (probably many people) will do really well, but I don’t have the bandwidth to be that person soon. I’m going to stay focused on CNC routing.

2 Likes

Thank you. Bar. I was just surprised that first response was about safety with Maslow4 setup and your delight at being right next to a laser cutter manufacturer. I see 40 and 80 watt units on ebay for reasonable prices. Not sure if it is for me either. But being on a sled to me seems ideal for large objects. The speed of motion for cutting plywood does not seem that fast and with air being blown around beam seams that surface would cool quickly. That brings eyesight danger and fumes which enclosure and vacuum venting would solve. Maybe so eone else will want to under take that option. I basically like to look at what options can be done. Hopefully we are getting close to ship with parts leaving port.

Martha Montgomery

1 Like

CO2 laser tubes are long and fragile, not suitable for mounting on a sled (do
you really want the equivalent of a 4’ florecent tube sticking out the top of
the sled?) plus they need a good sized power supply as well.

diode lasers can work, and 10w ones are becoming reasonable, 30-40w ones are
still in the $600+ range.

the maslow is fast enough to do the cutting, but you really want space below the
material you are cutting, and to have that surface below not be something that
can either catch fire, or reflect the laser in bad directions.

David Lang

1 Like

Yes what I have looked at are diode lasers. The 40 and 80 watt ratings are effective ratings. They are 10w diodes that have compressed? Into a very fine beam. The 80w uses 2 10w diode lasers that get combined and focused. Granted not true lasers but should still cut very fine lines. You are right that you want air or water underside. Thinking kind of like a plasma cutter would use. Diode lasers probably better for cutting anyway. As focused light a fee inches away quickly spreads out. Where a true laser would still be small even to the moon.

Martha Montgomery

Dlang
In my younger years, I have seen carbon arc lamps using 600 amps melt steel 12 ft away with dish being used to focus light.

1 Like

I think you are looking at input power, not optical output power.

a single diode has ~5w of output power, the 10w output lasers are 2 diodes, 20w
are 4 diodes, 30w are 6 diodes

CO2 lasers are all rated on their output power, they start at 40w and go up from
there.

if you see 80w on a diode laser, that’s deceptive marketing, not effective power

David Lang

1 Like

Deceptive advertising on eBay. Of course. I believe that. I have seen reviews where they says 2.5w units were as good as the higher wattage ones. At my age I doubt I will continue pursuing. Just curious. I found a adapter that can hold a marker pen at about 45 degrees and has a 1/4" munting so it can fit in where the bits go. Can use for checking cut paths prior to actually cutting.

1 Like

Do you have a link for that? It sounds cool

I purchased it on etsy for $30. But looks like it could be 3d printed. Will see if I can copy picture to you.

1 Like

This is what I bought. Obviously the ring will not fit on maslow4 but pin is 0.25 inch which like I said would fit in collet. Just not sure of height but it might fit.

Martha Montgomery

1 Like

Very clever! I like their use of a bolt to go into the router collet. Let us know how it works.

1 Like

Will need to have machine first. Since there are probably at least a thousand before me.

Martha Montgomery

Here is another kind from woodcraft but it is $70

Inning

1 Like

Two issues are…

First diode lasers would be fine to Engrave, but not so good at cutting. Co2 lasers wouldn’t work due to the light path from tube to cutting point.

2nd would be the resolution.

Not sure it would be high enough to do engraving/cutting that you’d use a laser for instead of a router.

It could work, but tbh laser diodes at reasonable prices are too low powered to achieve much, whilst getting stronger ones would mean you have a higher budget so could get a proper laser.

Ive got c02, diode and fiber lasers - they all have their plus points.

Thinking now z axis may noot have enough travel for adapter to fit in collet and to be able to rise to no contact with pen. Thinking maybe change 1/4bolt with flat head bolt and come down from above on bottom of z-azis support to a side. Maybe epoxy or super glue top of adspter to the under side of that support. That would give it about a inch higher in height. Might have an offset between bit and marker. Hard to figure out with just pictures.

Martha

1 Like