Meticulous Maynard's Chain Guide

I have been looking at the various posts re - chain length altering as it exits the sprocket due to differing angles . It occurred to me that it might solve the problem if the motor was able to rotate around its own axes by being accurately mounted to a trailer hub bearing or similar . The chain could the be fed through a lightweight channel guide which is fixed to the flange of the hub such that the action of the changing angle of the chain would also rotate the entire motor to match . I haven’t as yet built my maslow so i cant test the idea , but cant decide it the rotational torque of the powered motor might cause the guide to rotate too far momentarily or indeed how it would effect the calibration . Any thoughts greatly appreciated .

1 Like

That’s an interesting thought. Is the idea to help guide the chain on the sled-side to help compensate for material thickness? Personally, I’d prefer to adjust the top beam in and out to address that.

My biggest concern with this idea is that it would be really hard to keep the channel aligned with the chains at all times. Even if it was to spin freely, all it would take is a slight change in angle and it could pull the chain with it. This would distort the cut. The other thing is that the software currently calculates the catenary deflection, or chain sag. The channel would upset that sag profile, which could also cause distortion.

However, if this were to be on the slack side of the chain, it would do a good job of feeding the chain into the sprocket at the correct angle. You wouldn’t need the bearing, though, since the chain only really needs to feed in at one angle.

As with anything, we won’t really know how effective it is until it’s tested on a machine. I could entirely be wrong, it wouldn’t be the first time. :wink:

and take a look at the new chain layout, it greatly reduces the problem (if not
completely eliminating it)

1 Like

Thanks for your replies, but i think perhaps i haven’t explained my intentions clearly enough .
The drawing portrays the chain as exiting the sprocket upwards at approx 10 deg , but the chain actually goes to the sled (just the way i drew it is perhaps misleading ). if you rotate the drawing so that the chain appears to be going downhill at 45 `deg it would perhaps illustrate better . The idea is not to manage slack chain but to maintain a constant relationship between the sprocket and the angle that the chain leaves it en-route to the sled , plus if the channel is equal to the length of chain between the sprocket and the sled at its shortest length it might go some way to reducing chain sag .

Okay, I thought that’s what you were getting at but wasn’t sure.

I’m still worried it may deflect the chain, especially at higher feed rates. However, it’s hard to say if that would be the case until it’s tested.

You would have to size it for the sled being in the upper corners of the sheet. I think a counterweight might be a good idea at that length, or the weight of the channel will make it want to rotate down.

I was thinking of a counterweight to act against the weight of the motor plus channel . Also it might be advantageous to replace the lower sections of chain that never get drawn up as high as the sprocket with a solid medium such as carbon fiber rod etc . Again to reduce chain sag .