My first big project: A Prize Wheel

I finally finished this large “prize wheel” last week.

I received a request if I could make a prize wheel for a non-profit organization, and I immediately thought it would be a perfect Maslow project :slight_smile:

PXL_20240908_140126558_exported_stabilized_1725815662469

The wheel has a diameter of 1 meter. I wasn’t sure if it would be possible to achieve a perfect circle, but it’s very close. There is a difference of 8 mm between the top and bottom (1004 mm) and the left and right (996 mm).
Cutting the 24 holes for the sticks (18 mm) wasn’t entirely successful, but with extra cleanup with a Dremel afterward and by splitting my cut file into smaller, separate jobs, I was able to finish it.

The wheel is cut from 12mm plywood, and to prevent the sticks from being easily dislodged, I cut an additional outer ring (this had the same 8mm difference btw), which also gives it a nice appearance.

The frame will need to be reinforced a bit more, and the wheel will probably be painted in bright colours, but that will be done by the organization. I am looking forward to the final result.

I am really happy with the result, but I encountered many issues during the process. I will write about this in another post. I think there’s something wrong in the top-right arm. I will need to compile my error logs and possibly disassemble the machine first.

Some extra photo’s of the build process

14 Likes

This is fantastic! Please post a follow up picture when they paint it

1 Like