Not a Project (for now), but an interesting test cut

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvjdUgAcRbY

6 Likes

6068 lines of G-Code, 6 digits behind the decimal for X & Y. No buffer overflow or shot time memory loss :wink:

3 Likes

That looks awesome!

Is it a ships hull?

1 Like

@gero - you’ve cut the first Maslow boat! Looks like the accuracy was spot on, too. Is that 3mm ply and a 3mm bit? A great project!

@blurfl You are the first who caught me :slight_smile:
That’s why I put ‘Not a project’ in the title. I cheated.
If you look how I supported the parts with the cushion of my billiard table, it’s obvious that something is wrong.
The material name is unknown to me in English and also in German, so I can’t look it up.
Some sort of compressed cardboard, or so, with a waxed feeling.
The thickness is given with 3mm, but with 80% humidity it measures 3.4mm.
My smallest bit is 4mm, so it was clear from the start that this will not work.
I cut it anyway because:

1. It was a good stress test for FW- and GC-0.83.
    Plenty of curves and 6 digits behind the dot plus over 6000 lines of code…
  2. Gave me valuable insight on how DIY RC-Boats are created. (Can be scaled to real boats)
  3. Feedback on my workflow DXF->bCNC-g-code->Maslow
  4. Lessons on spacing and placements of holding tabs
  5. Z-Axis depth control was the biggest lesson learned.
    I need a new frame. Z is unreliable because my spoil-sheet is curved like a golf-course.
    Too shallow cuts where the sheet bows to the inside and too deep cuts where the bow goes to the outside.
    The 2x4s have likely bowled as well under the heat and humidity.
    Next frame will be square aluminium tubes welded.
  6. A thin layer of desert dust is perfect to eliminate friction :wink:
5 Likes

It is intended to be the hull of a Riva Aquarama 1/10th Scale.
Free and paid (so called plans) are available here: http://www.john-tom.com/FrameKits.html
Be aware that you get what you pay for!
No instructions for dummies, scans of hand drawings, DXF files not accurate 100% (some lines for cut-outs where not parallel, slightly off measurements…). G-Code is for 4.5mm material and a 1.5mm endmill. <- not trying that on the Maslow.
$15 is still fair, I think, as from the drawings I can tell that a lot of work went into this. To finish a boat, you still need some thoughts and skills. This particular test cut, if ever glued together, would become a ships-wreck-wine-bottle-holder.

2 Likes

I’ve got the same problem. No desert dust for lubrication, though :smile:

A very good test, though. Thanks for sharing!

1 Like

What does this mean?

He deleted a post.

With great knowledge come great responsibility, and we weren’t worthy :disappointed_relieved:. Or he just changed his mind, or it was a dup, or ??. Life is better with mysteries.

2 Likes

The material in English is hardboard, or in German it translates to Hartfaserplatte :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

It was a user-headspace error; I quoted gero’s comment about z-axis error due to warping, but opened the reply in the wrong thread :blush:.

1 Like

@larry Thank you (Danke!) for the vocabulary improvement on 2 languages.

No problem! I speak dutch, where the word is similar to the english word, so was curious if it would be the same in german :smiley: