First 2 cuts on the maslow

My first two cuts on the Maslow are complete. and I was expecting a little more distortion however, everything basically turned out fine.

My questions. First is there a way to set a given location as zero on the frame? i’d like to move the head to the corner and then set that as zero for the source of the cut.

The second question… I normally use Vcarve pro as my gcode generator, however, I was receiving errors when using that code with ground control, anyone know what the best gcode output method is for GC support?

4 Likes

Fantastic!!!

You should be able to move the home position of the cut by using the “Define Home” button over on the right hand side of Ground Control. What it will do is to define the (0,0) point in v-carve as the current sled location.

I haven’t personally used vcarve pro, but I think some others have used it successful…does anyone have advice?

1 Like

@Onelonedork

Great work. My understanding is in GC wherever you hit the define home button, the current location will be the point of origin. I plan to have a reference point in my sled for this purpose, a workflow that is repeatable. I don’t think GC has a set “original point of origin”, it’s all user defined.

I can’t answer the second question at this time. I suspect it is unsupported G-codes. Can you share your file here?

Thank you

1 Like

Don’t know if you have options in v-carve for post processors?
I have used 2, LinuxCnc and Grbl so far with the Maslow and both cut well. Unknown commands are just ignored.

2 Likes

@Onelonedork,

Based on what @Gero has said if you’re open to it I’d like to see your file and any information you can share on the errors.

Thank you

2 Likes

Would interest me too. What post processor are our Fusion 360 Maslowians using?
I did a quick check on the wiki and did not find anything. It could be of general interest to have a list of post processors that have been tested and related error popups.

According to this video, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzy-5mSAc2o at 4:41, you seem to have a bunch of options.

2 Likes

I’ve been using the Grbl post and it works great for me. The list is quite extensive, so it’s a bit overwhelming when you first look at it. These are only some of the options (the Grbl is the highlighted one):

EDIT: corrected the highlighted post-processor

3 Likes

Until we maybe end up with a MaslowCNC custom post-processor, the only reasonable options here are either the included GRBL post processor OR, a modified one which purports to improve the included post processor that I found on Github.

I have no experience with either at the moment, but this seems to be the only reasonable options at this time. (ie: maslowCNC is attempting to maintain GRBL compatibility, and these options purport to optimize for GRBL compatibility.)

see:

1 Like

@MeticulousMaynard,

It looks to me like you’re using the Boxzy post processor, Boxzy is a multi function 3D Printing/ Laser Engraving and Milling machine.

While this might work just fine as you are presumably only using the milling output available in Fusion360, it probably allows for other output not capable of interpretation by a MaslowCNC. This would require a series of missteps by the user, but isn’t ‘impossible’.

I’d recommend using either the Post Processor linked above or the ‘grbl.cps’ post processor in the list shown in your screenshot. (which is the correct ‘built in’ grbl post processor to use I believe.

as I said above tho, I’ve not yet any hands on experience, so YMMV. good luck!

hope this helps,

mrfugu

see:

Woops, my bad, I didn’t even notice. Maybe I should attach an extruder and make my Maslow a multi-function machine! And we thought our math was hard now o.O

I’ve been running all my programs using that post. I thought the code was a little bare-bones, but I haven’t had any issues with programs.

I switched over the output and noticed that the way the code looks much more like a traditional CNC router code. I did notice that it make all my arcs G2/G3 cuts instead of segmented G1 cuts. It also added M codes, which is very nice.

I think either post would work, but I definitely agree that using the standard Grbl is better.

2 Likes

Thanks for all of the input, I was able to get things working, by simply renaming the Gcode arc files I normally use from .tap to .nc

Next question, I was able to get target destination sorted out and move around my cuts to the correct place. Now is there any way to get them to refresh on screen? I was able to easily run the cut, but I don’t see any on screen display. Thoughts/ideas?

2 Likes

One other question, where did you guys get that nice vacuum adapter for your Ridgid? Mine did not come with one.

it should have included a clear plastic vacuum adapter (and a clear shield for
the other side)

What you see is then an adapter going from that to a larger hose.

It came with mine - in looking around I found this:

Thank you

1 Like

The clear part is Ridgid part#513349001, pretty inexpensive. I can’t remember where I got the 1.25" to 2.25" vacuum adapter. I tried one of these kits, but the hose is heavy and the slip-on fitting slips off the router as it moves about.

I have seen this with G-code that has no ‘blanks’.
This will render on the screen:
(Generated by Hand)

G21 G90 G40

(profile 1)
G0 Z5
T0 M6
G17
M3
G0 X-3 Y103
G1 Z-2 F300
G1 X-3 Y-3 F500
G1 X103 Y-3
G1 X103 Y103
G1 X-3 Y103
Z-4 F300
G0 X-3 Y103
G1 Z-2 F300
G1 X-3 Y-3 F500
G1 X103 Y-3
G1 X103 Y103
G1 X-3 Y103
G0 Z5
M5
M30

While this will still cut and show a moving sled, but the outlines will not show.
(Generated by Hand)

G21G90G40

(profile 1)
G0Z5
T0M6
G17
M3
G0X-3Y103
G1Z-2F300
G1X-3Y-3F500
G1X103Y-3
G1X103Y103
G1X-3Y103
Z-4F300
G0X-3Y103
G1Z-2F300
G1X-3Y-3F500
G1X103Y-3
G1X103Y103
G1X-3Y103
G0Z5
M5
M30

Can you confirm that your g-code has no ‘blanks’?

1 Like

If you are not seeing a preview of the Gcode I’d say that’s a bug and we need to fix it. @Gero’s example of what could be going on is a great one but we would need to take a look at the code to be sure

As for hose adapters I recommend CNCing one :wink: Here’s how I did mine:

3 Likes

Test box.nc (27.7 KB)
I’ve attached the G-code in question. Also Thanks for all of the links to the vacum adapter. I’ll order one today.

You guys are great!

1 Like

The code you attached does not have spaces in it like @Gero had suggested, so I’m guessing that’s what the problem is. Can’t speak from experience, but I could plug it into my machine when I get home to see if I can replicate the issue.

Seems to be a bug

2 Likes

Confirmed that it does not render but cut.

1 Like