Problems please help

having a problem, went through the calibration process multiple times and still cannot achieve a straight lengthy cut. Sled is 100% correct after not being able to cut the final sled perfectly I found an 18 inch bamboo circle I bought and measured out, everything on the sled is fine but I’m afraid the actual Frame may be off due to the uneven (up heaving cement floor) in my shop. I’m sure a manual calibration would fix it but I can’t see to find a walk through about what each value I need to enter means. I can figure out most of the values easily enough but if anyone could point me in the direction of a good tutorial for manual calibration so I can go about measuring out the rest of the unexplained values to input them correctly.

this may help, I’m not sure why the regular calibration wouldnt work though

1 Like

Thanks Bryton I appreciate the time you took to dig that up.

no problem. hope it works for you

1 Like

This is absolutely a calibration issue. The measurement which could be wrong to cause this is the distance between the motors. I would check that value in the settings and then see how it compares to a measurement taken by hand.

1 Like

Edit, fixed the problem by swapping to an over the chain setup and using counterweight. Wiped all previous measuments reset the arduino board and completely recalibrated from scratch with the over the chain setup with hanging 5 pound counterweights. All measuments are now within a 1/32 of tolerance even cutting a 4x5 foot tracer into the spoiler board, measurements were even end to end side to side and completely square. If anyone else is experiencing the same issue I was I would recommend trying this approach if you are currently using an under the gear to sled setup, even cuts all sizes of circles with a perfect diameter now!

1 Like

I ended up with an over the chain setup too, they work great. glad to hear you got it set good

the problem with chain over is what to do with the slack, if you let it hang
down vertically, gravity tends to make it be just that, vertical. But the
sprockets are at a 15 degree angle from verticl and this leads to chain feed
problems.

This is why we switched the default to the chain under feed, so that we could
manage the slack across the top beam and not fight gravity as much.

David Lang

2 Likes

I use guides so it matches the 15 degree angle. you are right though, I had alot of problems with chain skipping before I made the guide. I also loop the chain back up and hang the weight from that so it doesn’t lay on the ground when fully extended

1 Like

I also use a guide feed to keep the angle on the chain feeding into the roller and loop the chain back up and attach loose end to frame with a weight hanging on the roller sprocket. Ordered a couple of new #25 sprockets for the guide feed going into the motor to keep that angle on the chain to make the feed a bit smoother. Noticing alot of wear on the white plastic long washers that came stock with the machine.

1 Like

Sorry I tend to ramble with an intended direction in mind without the capacity to explain it intelligbly. I will take pictures tomorrow once the sprockets arrive and I install them. Using the bolt together frame design I noticed slight drag from the chains over the top bar 2x4 mount hopefully these sprockets will also help fix that since they have a quarter inch riser to them. :edit: this link is for the #35 setup as the supplier ran out of the #25 my apologies but the prices are the same except for the sprockets which were only 4.50$ per. https://www.amazon.com/TRITAN-35BS10H-Finished-B-Hub-Sprocket/dp/B00VI4O076/ref=asc_df_B00VI4O076/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=385575056794&hvpos=1o5&hvnetw=g&hvrand=16428874999370092591&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9005135&hvtargid=aud-801381245258:pla-846905665561&psc=1&tag=&ref=&adgrpid=78925973456&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvadid=385575056794&hvpos=1o5&hvnetw=g&hvrand=16428874999370092591&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9005135&hvtargid=aud-801381245258:pla-846905665561. Also take a look at the frequently bought together, much cheaper price for the #25 replacement chain than makers made currently charges.z

1 Like