RPi Webcontrol for dummies

Got it, I hate to bother you more. I installed samba and followed the directions you linked. Restarted the pi, turned off all the firewall crap on my computer and can’t or don’t know how to connect to the folder.

BTW I got VNC up and running, I wish I had done that first. Running all these commands (if you have another computer) was much easier for me.

I plan on working on the wiki soon.

find your IP address to the pi. If you can get to the webcontrol, it is that number. in windows explorer type in
\{IPaddress}

for me it is

\\192.168.1.7

for my development pi

\\192.168.1.10

for the one on my Maslow. Don’t be alarmed if it doesn’t allow you to save at first. You may need to change the folder properties from the command line:

$ chmod 777 {folder name}

in the explorer window via vnc, you can right click and select properties and likely do the same change there, but I don’t know what that looks like without doing it first.

Very helpful as always, first try, I have mapped it to a network drive. Your knowledge and skills are impressive! Your generosity in sharing both is amazing!

2 Likes

Quick update, I have been out of town on work but at least temporarily got the Pi and the touch screen mounted. Didn’t cut anything but moved the sled around with webcontrol on my tablet. I’m hoping I can find a way to configure the touch screen to be used as an e-stop, or at least stop the cut.

1 Like

Looks good!!

You have 2 options to make a stop button:

buy a button and you can make a “stop” button by connecting it to pins shown here:

Now to make it work, we need to get my changes pulled into the main branch of webcontrol as part of the next release, but it is close.

OR

you can set up the touch screen to automatically load a partial web page from webcontrol with just the control buttons. We have discussed making this, but I didn’t do it because my touch screen broke. Before it broke, I set up a chromium browser to auto load the full webcontrol web page and it showed exactly what you would see if you were using your phone. You might google chromium browser autoload.

I have seen significant lag when trying to use stop from my phone, I don’t know
if it’s a networking issue or if there is some other issue.

David Lang

the stop button hardware uses the same web route to trigger a stop, so installing one would be very similar. My reasoning was that I usually have to log into my phone again to get to the webpage that usually wants to reload before I can press stop and by then it is too late.

1 Like

So if any of you guys have your “ears” on. I was working on a compilation version of all of this, I was clicking around in webcontrol to get familiar with all the commands and I clicked on “restore webcontrol” just of see what it looked like and I hammered the system. I cannot connect to the arduino with webcontrol. I can still use groundcontrol and everything works that way. I am thinking I may need to wipe the pi and start over but thought I would put out feelers here first before I go that route. Thanks.

Just by clicking it? Check to make sure your port setting hasn’t changed.

Is the issue I am having related?

When in WebControl I have a “1” showing under help. Going into that menu I see it showing an update. When clicking on that update WebControl disconnects from my pi. Closing WebControl and rebooting pi is only way to get back in. The update is never done and I have no other issues except, as ShadyG said… if I click back up or restore WebControl the same issue happens and have to reboot everything. I’ve let it sit in that state for up to an hour thinking the update just took some time but never did complete any update.

The issue may be on how your service is set up to start webcontrol. The update process does 4 things:

1. download the new file
  2. turn off webcontrol
  3. copy new version into webcontrol location
  4. restart webcontrol

if your systemctl service is set to “always” restart, then #2 never happens and so it can’t copy the new version. Restoring it shouldn’t do anything because nothing was done other than saving a new file.

You need to log into your rpi, stop the webcontrol service, edit the service file so restart is “never” and try it again.

1 Like

Yeah I know what you are saying, I can get into webcontrol but it will not connect to the arduino. However, as I said, I can connect the arduino to my laptop and it works fine, using ground control. I even reset my chain lengths during all of this, somewhere along the line my center location changed.

I never changed the value to always.

These are current screen shots. One thing that might help is the serial connection never displays the option for COM3.

Any tips on the best way to unininstal/wipe out webcontrol and associated sercives etc. would be very helpful.

you can use:

$ htop

look for webcontrol or python from the location you have it installed. You can kill it by using up and down arrows to select the service and then F9 and then 9 to kill it. then press q or F10 to exit htop.

You can look for current services by using this command line text:

$ sudo systemctl status

arrow key down until you see it if it is there. I have a button service running:

and I’m running webcontrol from development code, so it is running as main.py:

press q to exit the system control status viewer.

if you have webcontrol listed, you can then:

$ sudo systemctl disable <service name>

where <service name> is “webcontrol” or I named mine “MaslowWC” If you get the right name, there will be no message. if you get it wrong, this is the message you will see:

HOWEVER, if you disable it, it will never start again automatically. so you should edit the .service file and just temporarily “stop” the service like this

$ sudo systemctl stop <system name>

then go to the webcontrol folder and run it manually

$./webcontrol

then go to the web page and do the upgrade while keeping the ssh window open, you should be able to see the download start and you can watch the update process. Next time you reboot, the stopped service will restart. If the service is “always” restarting, it will still not work.

looks like this:

when the new version upload starts you will see this progress bar at the bottom:

Watch it finish to see what the error is.

Com3 is a windows thing. Most likely the port is ttyamc0

Strange, it offered COM ports in android windows and on the pi itself before this.

yeah, mine shows up as TTYACM0. If you have more than one USB device, it could be TTYACM1 or 2, but not the TTYAMA0 port. On my pi that does not connect to Maslow, it shows the bottom two of the 3 you list above.

If you imported groundcontrol.ini from a windows pc, maybe it set the port name as com3. I don’t think webcontrol does that check so likely that’s what happened. Regardless, it’s likely ttyACM0 on the RPI

Ok, I did try all of the settings it offered and no joy. I tried to stop and remove everything related to maslow and webcontrol in the pi, I am in the process of reinstalling right now. Webcontrol version 932. It is a pain but I am getting more familiar wtih the pi environment, this is just reinforcing that. Can’t say enough how much I appreciate the support from the community, hopefully I can be of help to others at some point.