Shield TLE5206

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at http://maslowcommunitygarden.org/Shield-TLE5206.html

Hi jwolter!

I would like to take the opportunity to announce shields are available now!

Thank you

3 Likes

@2cents Are you planning to make more of these?

Since they aren’t available I made a pull request to take it down, but if you are planning to bring them back we’ll delete my pull request

1 Like

leave them up as the design data is there, just mark them as no longer
available.

David Lang

2 Likes

Yes, absolutely! I’ve been very busy lately and was planning to work on inventory over the weekend, they are back in stock now. Sorry for the delay. :relaxed:

Gab

could you make a version of these that will work with the Due (including an
eeprom and level converters between the existing shield connections and the
arduino)

something like these chips:

ideally, have a pingout that matches a due, and a place where a ESP32 could be
soldered on. :slight_smile:

but even if you don’t make it have a nice pinout for any particular processor,
just having a board that we know will work well at 3.3v would be very valuable.

David Lang

2 Likes

I thought I would provide a link in this thread, just to make sure it is well-publicized.

Also, this one:

1 Like

Hi David!

I just found out about the Due hardware/firmware initiative, it looks great!, I would love to help in any way I can, however it will take me some testing time on a breadboard before commit to produce them. Unfortunately I’ve been very busy lately and I won’t have time to put my head into it until I complete the kits/parts restocking process that I’m in right now. As soon as I have everything back on tracks I will give it a try. :slightly_smiling_face:

Gab

2 Likes

Hi Joshua!

I don’t think this is big issue, but I will hook up my oscilloscope and test it as soon as I have time, the induced noise is likely from the DC motor power wires and probably isolating them would be the best solution. What do you think of a Schmitt Trigger for getting rid of higher frequency noise?

1 Like

I think the capacitor is simpler. As long as there is some kind of information that justifies the solution over alternatives.

For the capacitor solution, one would have to demonstrate that the frequency of the filter were above the frequency of the pulses coming from the motors at max speed. Substantial margin would be desirable, in case the maximum observed pulse-frequency increases. If the capacitor is sized correctly, tour oscilloscope should show reduced noise, but the pulses should remain largely unchanged.

I agree about the DC motor part. However, capacitors cost about $.01 each, and can be a very simple improvement.

For the capacitor solution, one would have to demonstrate that the frequency
of the filter were above the frequency of the pulses coming from the motors at
max speed. Substantial margin would be desirable, in case the maximum
observed pulse-frequency increases.

so max speed currently is ~2.5K steps/sec (so each signal line being ~1.3KHz
signal)

If the capacitor is sized correctly, tour oscilloscope should show reduced
noise, but the pulses should remain largely unchanged.

Agreed.

This is an area that I know enough to ask about problems, but not enough to have
a feel for what solutions will work.

David Lang

Hi folks!

I’m experimenting with this and am contributing to this on this thread:

Let’s concentrate on one thread rather than fragmenting?

Thank you

First off, I want to thank you for your suggestion, inputs and exchange of ideas like this contribute to improve the project.

Here are my thoughts about this:

For a false pulse to occur (if they occur at all), it has to be an induced spike similar to a real pulse (amplitude/frequency), in which case it will be impossible to filter, the only solution to it would be isolating the wires

However, noise may be preventing the encoder pulses from being decoded at random times, and in this case a capacitor may help.

I think it’s worth testing it and if it helps on cleaning the square wave, I will incorporate your recommendation.

1 Like

frequency is not a factor here, the ‘frequency’ of the pulses varies based on the speed you are moving, and the ‘frequency’ of the leading edge of the pulse is close to infinite.

the amplitude matters a lot, if you have a 5v signal, it typically takes about 3v to trigger it. If you have a 3.3v signal, it typically takes about 1.8v to trigger it. anything below that point doesn’t matter.

what matters in the timing, look at this truth table on this page and see what happens when a line goes high and then drops back down before the other line changes, you will see that the count goes up and then back down (no effect)

This is why I am saying that a faster cpu should have less problem with noise as any noise spikes are more likely to go away and be noticed.

Adding a capacitor to the input will slow down the rise of all pulses, which will distort the legitimate signal, but will also slow down the noise, potentially to the point where the noise never reaches the threshold to trigger a state change.

If you have noise on both wires, 3/4 of the time it’s the same as having noise on only one wire (as one or both of the lines are already high), In that other 1/4 of the time it’s an invalid transition in theory. In practice, it depends on the implementation, if the cpu processes state changes on each line individually, it processes one before the other and may throw the count off.

Hi David!

I was referring to the ‘noise’ frequency, not the pulses ‘period’ from the encoder.

Shouldn’t be close to zero?

I agree…for a ‘noise’ spike/burst to be picked up as an encoder pulse, it has to have amplitude enough to trigger a hi/lo, but also a negative spike may prevent a high to reach the trigger, so anything bellow that point may cause a problem too.

Shouldn’t a faster ‘cpu’ be picking up more noise?

Anyways… whatever it is, false pulses, missed triggers, attenuation, ground loop, or even harmonic frequencies from the power supply, until we test it we’re just shooting in the dark, I will check it out when I have a chance and post the results.

Thanks for the link :slight_smile:

1 Like

Has anyone here built/designed a motherbaord above a 386 or a RF engineer?

Thank you