Texture surface options

Hi All

I have created my first Maslow design, a large free standing cacti umbrella stand, that I have designed and made a cardboard prototype of as attached.

Am trying to work out how to create a cool texture to the design (cacti effect) using a round nose bit to engrave a pattern similar to any of these https://www.google.com/search?biw=1280&bih=832&tbm=isch&sxsrf=ACYBGNTM2JbH4Jw0BwrI0sF0WRb2imAr2Q%3A1568146914856&sa=1&ei=4gV4XeTwM627gwe19LKACw&q=cnc+plywood+spiky+texture&oq=cnc+plywood+spiky+texture&gs_l=img.3...177516.177516..178974...0.0..0.69.69.1…0…1…gws-wiz-img.M9X3q2YpL08&ved=0ahUKEwjk6cK-isfkAhWt3eAKHTW6DLAQ4dUDCAY&uact=5#imgrc=-OrsTchIpCd5yM:

Have spent the last few days trying to work out how to do it and it seems its all to do with selecting the right toolpaths when generating the cam.

Have found a few previous posts in this forum such as Guide for carving (guide for carving)

Am trying to work out how to use the maslow to create similar organic looking texturers using a round nose bit and just engraving before cutting out the project.

The best video I have found to do with just using the tool path is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-NRNFEStEs&t=156s don’t want to have to design the texture from scratch…he is using aspire.

Can this be done using makercam>?

Any tips/links to video would be appreciated…

Thanks

1 Like

The software Carbide Create has some texture options that I have successfully used with v bits and round ball bit. Play around with that and see if it fits your needs.

1 Like

makercam is not designed for this sort of thing, it’s designed for 2.5d carving,
where you are doing a 2d shape that needs multiple passes and possibly some
pockets.

there are other CAM packages out there designed for this sort of thing,
unfortunantly I’m blanking on the names right now.

David Lang

1 Like

Has anyone use fusion 360 to generate cam for the Maslow?

If so any pointers links would be appreciated.

Thanks

There is a post processor and the link below is about optimizing the settings for use on the Maslow

thanks but the link says "This forums.maslowcnc.com page can’t be found "

Checked the video but looks quite complicated for a newcomer :slight_smile:

Are you basically saying we need to make some specific setting apply to generating the g code in 360 for the maslow? If so i think this video Fusion360 CAM for Maslow Tutorial - YouTube does that and is much clearer. Am working through it and will let you know how it went.

If there is anyone experienced here who could help me get this set up i am willing to pay $15 an hour for the help to show me how to do it?

All the best.

Carbide Create. look great and easy to use however after downloading it, you have to enable the pro version and that is only available as a trial and the trial does not allow you to save the gcode ?

If you scroll down in the post I mentioned you will find a link that does work (post nu Jamtek)

What mdo said. I havent had any issues.

sorry, cant see what link you are talking about that does work?

Could you post it here please?

Thanks

https://cam.autodesk.com/hsmposts?p=maslowcnc

thank you…what do i do with that download? might you be free to provide me a little paid for support to help me get up to speed?

I’m willing to help you and there is no need to pay me, but so far your questions in this thread could have been answered by doing a little (more) research in this forum or elsewhere on the internet/youtube. No offense, but you have to keep in mind that the Maslow is no plug&play machine (although this gets better every day). Lucky for you there are enough people around here that have had hundreds of issues and questions before you. All you have to do is query and read/watch. It takes time, a lot of time, but in the end this effort will help you get better in CAD/CAM and managing your Maslow.

As far as Fusion360 goes I can recommend the video’s by Lars Christensen and in this case the part about CAM and post processing https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bd6-BQUCbVA. Put the post processor you’ve downloaded in the folder mentioned in the top bar of the post processor pop-up.

Kind regards,

1 Like

I second Lars Christensen on youtube, he is fanta-tastic.

thanks for the pointers but that video does not seem to help.

Its seems the only FREE textured tool path software is from Autodesk Artcam. However they stopped supporting it a few years ago an no longer allow you to download it :frowning:
Found a few good videos on how to use it for this job such as ArtCAM 2010: 2D texture toolpath - YouTube

After finding some dodgy sites offering downloads of artcam i found this site ArtCAM Pro Free Download - Get Into PC and have managed to get it working on my windows 10 machine although its a bit glitchy…Run out of time on this again today so will keep you all updated on the progress.

Anyone here every used artcam for this purpose?

Thanks