Triangular Linkage Evaluation Criteria and Measurements

Sorry for the delay in responding to you. I was reminded of the linkage slip in @Gero’s troubleshooting thread.

I tried to do this first, but I didn’t have enough thread on the bolts to make it work. I might be able to give it a try with threaded rod, but…

This worked as a solution to the issue. I took one of my old plywood risers and ripped it to 3/4" wide to make sure that there was enough clearance for the bolts. Where the previous setup would jump at about 610mm (~24") from the centerline of the machine, now it slips at 1000mm+ (~40"+). And where it does slip, it no longer seems like the bolts aren’t aligned well as much as I’m reaching the limit of travel of the mechanism:

I also was able to test this. I took a video, but I don’t have my camera with me right now to post the resulting video. I will try and post that tonight when I have access to the video and my editing software.

I would recommend a skirt around the edge of the sheet though. At about 1’ in from the edge of the machine, I had pretty good stability. I have a 4’x8’x3/4" sheet of MDF as my spoilboard, so I effectively do have a skirt for the edges of my machine. When I jogged the machine over to the edge of the sheet, however, things got harrier. With the bit at the edge of the sheet, the sled was webble-wobbling quite a bit. I think having a skirt that is a similar thickness will improve stability greatly.

Again, I’ll post the video tonight when I get the chance so you can see better.

I have switched the linkages back over to Logan’s. I need to start cutting projects, and currently it has the least distortion so I will be using that for now. This will be really important for cutting my new sled.

In response to this criticism I had for this linkage kit:

I took @madgrizzle’s suggestion on how to mount the bracket, and I think it’s quite a slick solution to the problem:

So far so good!

And finally, I’ve been able to put my test sheet to good use! I needed to make a countertop for another project. It’s going to get nosing on the front, and tile on top, so you’ll never see all my test patterns once it’s done!

4 Likes