Trouble going from Inkscape SVG to Fusion CAM

I’ve created an SVG file using Inkscape, and it looks to me like it is one continuous vector, no matter how far I zoom in. However, Fusion does not seem to think so. When I try to extrude, I cannot select any part of the plane, only the points and lines. I did create it by drawing half, duplicating it, and then flipping it vertically, and then matching the points, so that I would have a symmetrical figure. Is there something I’m not doing in Inscape, or is there something I can do in Fusion to make it work?

can you upload the file? But, if it’s two open paths (left lines and then mirrored right lines touching each other to make it close), and though it looks “closed”, it’s just still two “open” paths. You may not be able to extrude it.

I don’t know the best way to upload the file, here it is, dragged and dropped:

RailScanPath

It’s a porch “picket” for a victorian type porch rail. The sides also make patterns when lined up side to side.

It is definitely two open paths. I’m not sure how to take a single path, mirror it, and then combine it to a single closed path. I think you would need to be able to do that in order to do inner/outer profiles to cut it out. But, you could increase the size of the outer path and decrease the size of the inner path by 1/2 the router bit width and then import this into makercam and set up a series of “follow paths”.

Edit: The method I posted at the bottom is far superior and easier to do. Only takes a few seconds

Ok, it is possible but you have to use the join node command. It’s tricky, but I managed to piece it together (got to be an easier way). Look at this link for what I used as guidance…

Here’s the file I did. I was able to import into makercam and then create profiles for it. You should be able to right-click save image and then open it in makercam to do your toolpaths.

PorchRail

Here’s a link to another way I found… might work better:

3 Likes

I struggles with similar issues when converting my drawings from SolidWorks to AutoCad dxf format (using Inkscape for svg) and going using Easel to generate “g code”. No matter what I tried, every line segment came out as separate items. Cut times were crazy as it had to cut each line separately (every layer of cut).

I had to changed Cam programs over to MakerCam to fix the issue (it recognized all my parts as single path).

{Just don’t forget to change the “SVG Import Default Resolution (px/inch)” located under “Edit” pull down menu, sub menu “Edit Preferences” in MakerCam from “72” to “96” if scale matters for your item.}

Draftsight (free cad program) has a command (Join) you can use to connect the separate halves, but it does not do well curves or splines. Your cad program may have a similar command.

If you need a good free cad program try DraftSight.

You can also try saving image as another type (jpg, tiff, etc) and use the Easel import trace command. That may also solve your problem.

1 Like

Thank you very much madgrizzle! I’ve been struggling with this, and I didn’t know what to even search for for help. (That sentence looks funny!)

I should have used guides as the second article suggested too, I was tracing a bitmap that had a small amount of distortion that became apparent after I did the vertical flip.

Inkscape has a “trace bitmap” function too, which I was hoping to use with the original image. The original image was not in high enough resolution to use that function.

I see what you are saying about saving it as a JPEG then tracing it again, but that seems lossy, and against my morals. :relaxed: (Vector to bitmap to vector)

I understand fully. I generally use tiff format when I concerned with keeping the image as crisp as possible.

1 Like

if you have access to illustrator, this is relatively easy, with the join path command and the layers palette
i think inkscape has a similar tool.

here’s what i get if i join all the loose paths in your svg with illustrator.
You might need to rescale this, due to inkscape using a different dpi than ilustrator for its svg output.
e6199753276189540393239cedb7a2d592f8a693

@madgrizzle you missed a part of one of the paths with your version, see this screenshot of your svg in illustrator:

Oh, and if you are importing into fusion 360, there is an add in that helps with this, see here:
https://apps.autodesk.com/FUSION/en/Detail/Index?id=8050506996211430178

1 Like

Not surprised… but nevertheless, I was able to do an inside profile so it worked

Thanks! I only have access to Illustrator on my wife’s work computer, but that’s real nice how clear it shows up compared to Inkscape! My sister works for Adobe, but somehow that doesn’t mean I get a free version!

1 Like

This article was very timely for me. Thanks for sharing!

1 Like