Two Tone Painting With Masking Tape

In the video, the guy used Rustoleum enamel paint. Appeared to do the trick. Applied it with a small brush, dipping into the can.

I am sure sheā€™ll love your work. My wife will still be away for v-day. I guess thatā€™s a good news bad news scenario :slight_smile:

1 Like

I can buy two full sheets of birch plywood for the price of having flowers delivered. Soā€¦ I can make her something and use the leftovers to do something else!

4 Likes

That, sir, is excellent economics! :slight_smile:

@madgrizzle May I use your photos in the newsletter tomorrow?

and @Keith May I use your photos of testing different materials and bits in the newsletter tomorrow?

Absolutely you may ā€¦

1 Like

Ah, @madgrizzle stole my wording. Of course, @bar. You may use any photos I post here (that I donā€™t subsequently delete before the newsletter in question* :wink: )

*caveat in case I accidentally post something then realize I donā€™t want it public and delete it. But if itā€™s there on Tuesday before a newsletter, then itā€™s fair game for that next newsletter. Can you tell I have to deal with lawyers in my job?

3 Likes

quid dixit . . . . .

2 Likes

I just finished the project (forgot to take a photo of itā€¦ will tonight). I used 4 coats of spray shellac but will do some test pieces (with grooves) to see if I can just use the can/brush variety. I was worried that using the can/brush would result in too much shellac in the grooves making it difficult to wipe off the surface.

I sprayed the piece with black enamel spray paint and wiped off the paint on the surface using multiple rags and mineral spirits. With the mineral spirits, the paint came off easy. I just needed lots of rags. Only issues I ran into was that some of the carved areas were ā€œwideā€ (i.e., not 1/8-inch channels, but a profiled space). When wiping the paint off the top layer, the rag would pick up some of the paint from the wide areas. But all in all, it worked well and will probably use this technique in the future when doing outlining. Iā€™ll edit this post tonight with a picture of the final piece.

2 Likes

Hereā€™s the ā€œfinishedā€ project. I think sheā€™ll like it. I still need to sand down the edges (paint apparently causes the ā€œfrizziesā€ to come out on cut edges of plywood) and finish the varnish.

8 Likes

Excellent work!

Thank you

in watching the shows on woodworking, a common thing to do is to dampen the wood to get the grain to swell up, then sand it flat while damp and the result is especially good.

This sounds like the same type of problem

2 Likes

Thanksā€¦ Iā€™m new to all this and appreciate the tips

That is awesome! Great job. I am sure she will love it.

That is quite impressive.

I donā€™t know if your wife gave you a hard time about you buying your CNC machine but I bet that if she did she will no longer have any problems with it.

2 Likes

lolā€¦ sheā€™s not in a position to complain about me spending money.

She likes showing off my workā€¦ sort of a ā€œsee how amazing my husband isā€¦ā€ kind of thing.

2 Likes

That has never stopped my wife from commenting on what I spend my money on.

Her latest is talking about my ā€œCDCā€ machine and about my progress in building it.

I do too! Canā€™t wait to put it in the newsletter :smiley:

Really beautiful work on this one!

1 Like

Good thing Valentineā€™s day is Wednesday :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Soā€¦ I did some research and Iā€™m not confident where I got the image for the Millennium Falcon was authorized to provide it as it was. As Iā€™ve seen this image available for digital purchase, to be safe, Iā€™ve removed it from the community garden. I donā€™t know if the person selling it is authorized to sell it (was it derivative work?) but I donā€™t want there to be an issue regardless. Iā€™ll work on a wiki post that describes the process of taking an image and making it into gcode. I apologize if this causes an issue.

3 Likes