UniStrut Frame designs

Some minor improvements and initial calibration.

First, some shots of the perfectly good chain guides, using the included Delrin roller, trimmed ~1/4" to fit 1.5" screws. The screw is kept loose enough for the roller to spin freely.

Note: This position (mounted directly to the motor face) places enough pressure to keep chain on at least 180deg of the sprocket, and keeps the exit chain aligned entering the sprocket.

This is important because as you’ll see I have the loose chain twisted about 45deg, due to not wanting to add much to the frame in order to tension the chain.

Everything worked great during calibration, I still need to test running it out to the far corner, but I don’t anticipate many problems, if anything I’ll need to add another foot of chain to each side.

Add ons:

I took @dlang’s advice and added a hanging mount for the sled in the center of the main cross bar:

it works well. and is quite sturdy.

Tomorrow I’ll have 3 more modifications and intense calibration:

1. Some spoilboard stiffeners in the form of more L-Brackets on the back side of the bottom and middle horizontal bars.

2. z-axis= 0 connection via foil backed insulation foam (1/2" or 1" ) stacked on top of a 1/4" spoilboard. This should leave enough space left on the bottom rail to mount 9-18mm ply w/o much overhang of the bottom strut.

3. Auto power for the router and dust collection.

I’ll post picts of these tomorrow.

cheers

7 Likes