Updates for 2022

There is a link in this thread above in post 13 and more testers are certainly welcome. Updates for 2022 - #13 by Orob.

It appears that the released version has a javascript error and won’t upload new gcode in Linux or on the raspberry pi. If the gcode is already there, it will open it. I’m trying to get the gcodeclean program to run on the selected gcode file.

The difference in the previous version and this webcontrol version:

• Linux: Python 3.8 and all requirements are the newest version for ubuntu.
  • RPI: Raspberry pi was built on Buster with Python 3.7. The newest requirement install on rpi got hung up on scipy and numpy via pip install ( a known issue), so its dependencies are a bit older.

Yeah, i’m really good at missing the obvious sometimes. I’ll download and give it a whirl. Although I’m running RasPi x64. Would that cause a problem?

TBH, I don’t know if x64 will cause a problem because it was built with the 32 bit rpi distro. If it doesn’t work, you will know why. It shouldn’t harm anything to try, it just may not work. I wonder if the linux distro will work, though it is for AMD64, not arm. either way, you trying might be a data point of use.

I feel like I am late to my own party! Sorry, I don’t get a lot of computer time these days, and have never used forums except for a few desperate questions. Until I met Maslow, that is.

Orob, I will be happy to help if I can. Calibration documentation is exactly what prompted me to ask. I am sure it is well documented, but where I ran into trouble is probably where most newbies do, and that was…drum roll…I did not read the documentation.

Maybe I skimmed it, but if I did it was at least 100 hours into my initial setup. OK…an exaggeration, but I do think calibration would have gone faster if the wording in and around the buttons on the calibration form had been more descriptive. For example, I ran it several times before I realized that I needed to click the calculate button first. Bringing to mind the first rule in UI Design.

1. People are idiots!

OK, I only read the first few of the other comments, so I will assume the topic is still valid. I will check back soon, and will be happy to offer up suggestions and edits if you point me to the correct documentation and such. JEH

1 Like

There is plenty of room, it just needs a little different approach. Maybe macros could have their own popup? Or us a drop box as opposed to buttons.

the point of macros is to have them handy, so making them need several clicks to
use is counterproductive.

however, I could see having a few that are there all the time and a second set
that you can switch between several definitions with a pulldown or something
like that (radio buttons to select the set of macros??)

David Lang

I use the macro1 and macro2 to start and stop the router manually for setup or trimming. @dlang I like the idea of changing the macro buttons with a selector, though I’m not sure how to do that, but I’ll add it to the list. @hangtentex, I think we need to have the macros be buttons on the main page. We could have it be a tab panel that trades with the movement buttons so there are 9 of them.

@TimS and @jonatpridesleap I think I fixed the upload issue, but that doesn’t mean there won’t be other issues. Feel Free to try it again. New files are in place in the test release section. Once we have verified the features work, a pull request will be filed to have the changes put in the webcontrolcnc repository.

Downloaded it having issues trying to get your version to load, it always shows at the old version. Cleared cookies and history and unpugged the USB but couldn’t pull it up. Has to be something simple I’m messing up. I’ll try again tomorrow.

-Tim

@Orob , I am afraid this forum is beyond my ability to keep up. However, I have posted a screen shot of an idea for redesign of the calibration worksheet.

In my experience, I have learned that it is terribly difficult for the person designing an application to see it through the eyes of someone who knows zilch about the subject. Since I was very recently the guy who knows nothing about Maslow CNC, but knows a great deal about UI design, I thought you might appreciate my opinion.

I have approached it with a stepwise design, with only a couple of added features, and some added descriptions. Other than that, it is the same cat with a different skin. Please feel free to use the ideas, or discard them. No hurt feelings either way. Good luck! JEH

These are great. I’ll see what I can do to incorporate them. I’m most comfortable making small functional changes to the software. Major aesthetic changes are much more difficult for me, so I’ll see how we go.

Perhaps you might consider looking over the help documents as well. When it is new and fresh, that is the best time to capture it. Thank you for the input!

Just a note that you can have the forum software email posts to you and you can
reply via email as well (that’s how I keep up with things)

David Lang

If you can push up to Python 3.10 then the option opens up to use pyjion. Which is a drop in JIT compiler for Python that pretty much doubles its speed.

Python is a memory and processor hog, so anything that helps its performance is a win.

1 Like

Webcontrol trace calling GcodeClean from the gcode menu:

The only way I can see to do it easily is to have the user install the correct version for their platform next to the webcontrol folder.

old file name is filename.gcode
new file name is filename-gcc.gcode
(as you said)

Here is the menu for the gcodeclean default options (none of the flags show up, just the minimize level and the file name):

not the prettiest, but it appears to work ok. I haven’t had time to mess with the css to clean up the spacing. I put in _'s so the text wouldn’t run together. The zClamp at 50 mm is way high overkill, but I needed a default that was well out of the useable region. Hopefully this doesn’t create issues for anyone.

The picture you provided for the triangular calibration is useful for desktop browsers. How would you do it for a mobile device? The one that is currently used works in both cases, which is why the text boxes and buttons stretch across the entire modal window. Any thoughts on how to make this both mouse and finger friendly and still be “better?”

Looks pretty fancy to me. I’m looking forward to this weekend of tests. Md8n had the minimize as the alternative spelling minimise on the original gcodeclean. Are they interchangeable?

Here’s the actual min / max allowable for each value, the default is always the minimum value, note that the tolerances are unit-less, only zClamp gets tweaked according to the units:

• tolerance - 0.00005 <-> 0.5
  • arcTolerance - 0.00005 <-> 0.5
  • zClamp - 0.02 <-> 10.0 (mm: 0.5 <-> 10.0, inch: 0.02 <-> 0.5)

they are not interchangeable. The command line uses minimise, but when I type, I use the z, so that is what you see on the web page selection… symmantics I suppose, but syntax must be correct on the command line.

Does the gcodeClean check for G20 or G21 to know what units to use? I’ll add this information to the documentation and change the web page to use the default. As it is, if the default values are chosen, the command line parameters are not even added, so the default web page values don’t matter, but they also don’t represent reality, so I’ll change them.

Thanks for the information.

It currently does for zClamp (as described), but I’m looking at adding that for tolerance and arcTolerance for the DedupLinearToArc and SimplifyShortArcs functions respectively. It’s already done for simple Clip (which eliminates needless decimal places)

So I just learned if you don’t do this right you can lose the ability to launch your terminal to fix it…

I am afraid that the trick to doing this is beyond my skill level, however I do know there is some bit of code somewhere that makes scaling to smaller screens easier. I just don’t know what it is. (How is that for no help at all?) I have built websites using WordPress, and it does a fine job of scaling for mobile devices. However, I doubt that WordPress is the right tool for this app. Again, I don’t know much about the process of developing this kind of thing. My job was to design the front end. The smart guys made it work!